IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Question for Mac Mail users
If someone used the default settings for mail, would they have everything copied locally? When moving to a new mail server, if they connect via IMAP, would the local copy get pushed back to the new server?
--

Drew
New It's my understanding....
...That IMAP stores the messages on the server. Therefore, if the messages were stored on the old server, and did not get copied to the new server...The answer should be self-evident. Not on the new server, not in the user's mailbox.

Note that I no longer know what the "default" setting's for Mail.app are anymore. This is the part where Greg corrects me about my understanding of IMAP.... ;-)
-Mike

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin, 1759 Historical Review of Pennsylvania
New IMAP answers.
So long as MacMail is following the RFC (but since this is an Apple app, there are no guarantees), the server's version is authoritative. The local information is effectively a cache and is not supposed to override the server's store.

(I see the last one often: I use the Exchange IMAP Connector because I prefer Opera's mail client to Outlook. However, the IMAP Connector doesn't play real well with the storage backend and I see messages appear and disappear and re-appear once again when the backend has them replicated properly.)

Wade.

Q:Is it proper to eat cheeseburgers with your fingers?
A:No, the fingers should be eaten separately.
New Dunno if this answers your question, but...
...I had a local IMAP server failure a while back. Disk went, no hope of recovery.

What I did when I set the new box up was to create a couple of dummy accounts in Mail so that Mail had two accounts in its setup - the old'n'busted one, and the new hotness.

What this meant I could do was just drag'n'drop the folder heirarchy from o'n'b to nh.

I then fucked about with the accounts on the server to make them line up with the Mail setup. The dummy accounts were then nuked.

Nowadays, though, I'd just use Time Machine.
New That relies on the app running in "local" mode.
Opera is the same. You can mess about with the local storage to your heart's content whether it's talking to the server or not. It's just that when it next connects, the local storage will be "fixed". But if you don't do that... :-)

Wade.

Q:Is it proper to eat cheeseburgers with your fingers?
A:No, the fingers should be eaten separately.
     Question for Mac Mail users - (drook) - (4)
         It's my understanding.... - (mvitale)
         IMAP answers. - (static)
         Dunno if this answers your question, but... - (pwhysall) - (1)
             That relies on the app running in "local" mode. - (static)

(It's only a model...) SHHHH!
70 ms