IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New How so?
I know PHP lets you get away with a lot of sloppiness, but what do you mean about the worst of each paradigm?
--

Drew
New Well, indirectly quoting an old prof of mine
though he was talking about java... takes interpreted and compiled approaches and combines the worst features of both: slow running code and a slow dev cycle.

The big thing with php is that it makes maintaining a program you've never seen before really hard, because you have to spend a lot of time asking yourself "is this imperative? OO? What the fuck was that guy doing there?"
New no, disagree
the only part you need to think about is
"What the fuck was that guy doing there?"
mod it, run it, clean it up
New Hmm, not sure
Slow running is mostly a non-issue for me, since I finally got WP SuperCache working right. Whenever I post a new article, or someone comments, the relevant pages are regenerated. Everyone after that gets served a static, compressed page.

As for development time, first versions are fast as hell, with incredibly low overhead compared to Java. (Yes, you can write lightweight Java without a framework, but I've never seen anyone do it.)

I completely agree that maintenance is important enough to disqualify a language or technique if it makes it hard to maintain. But if it's written well, you don't have to question what it's doing. The corollary is that if you have to question what it's doing, the first version wasn't written well and needs to be refactored.
--

Drew
New Re: maintenance mode
Yeah... tell me something I don't know ; The guy who wrote a lot of this stuff was on drugs or something.
New Don't think you can plame PHP for that :-)
--

Drew
     So I'm preparing my laptop for the roadtrip - (lincoln) - (83)
         throw linux on it if you just need - (boxley) - (82)
             He won't... - (folkert) - (80)
                 Recommend application development software on Linux - (lincoln) - (79)
                     Looking from the wrong direction - (drook)
                     Java. - (malraux) - (9)
                         Java looks like something worth considering seriously... - (Another Scott)
                         Thread-jack. - (static) - (3)
                             java is the new basic - (boxley)
                             Java's worth as a language: - (malraux) - (1)
                                 That's a good point. - (static)
                         FINALLY - SOMEONE HERE OFFERS A GOOD SUGGESTION! - (lincoln) - (3)
                             That suggestion was made back then. - (folkert) - (2)
                                 WRONGO! - (lincoln) - (1)
                                     Google "site:iwt.mikevitale.com C#" works. -NT - (Another Scott)
                     jboss spring tomcat - (boxley)
                     oh yeah - (boxley)
                     On the other hand - (pwhysall)
                     I said everything I needed to say now and back then. - (folkert) - (64)
                         You never helped in the first place - (lincoln) - (63)
                             Poor form, lincoln. - (Another Scott) - (44)
                                 Re: Poor form, lincoln. - (lincoln) - (43)
                                     "... and teach himself other stuff." -NT - (Another Scott)
                                     I see you are a victim... - (folkert) - (41)
                                         Go talk to your developers - (lincoln) - (40)
                                             Developers for the company I work for... - (folkert) - (3)
                                                 well, I think Hell has frozen over. - (lincoln) - (2)
                                                     That wasn't your question to me though. - (folkert)
                                                     Re: well, I think Hell has frozen over. - (folkert)
                                             Did you honestly think... - (beepster) - (35)
                                                 Hey, whattaya mean "web company" - (crazy) - (34)
                                                     Re: Hey, whattaya mean "web company" - (malraux) - (33)
                                                         Re: Attitude... - (folkert) - (26)
                                                             Re: Attitude... - (SpiceWare) - (25)
                                                                 OUCH. - (folkert) - (2)
                                                                     Re: OUCH. - (lincoln) - (1)
                                                                         Victim with a grudge. - (folkert)
                                                                 your former employer's HR dept. called me in June - (lincoln) - (21)
                                                                     Was that more or less than you're getting now? - (pwhysall) - (20)
                                                                         and is first offer ever final? - (beepster) - (19)
                                                                             There is no way - (lincoln) - (18)
                                                                                 you going to college? - (boxley) - (2)
                                                                                     she does have a job - (lincoln) - (1)
                                                                                         that works -NT - (boxley)
                                                                                 You need to re-evaluate. - (beepster) - (11)
                                                                                     Not only that. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                                                                         More good advice that will... - (folkert) - (1)
                                                                                             Re: More good advice that will... - (lincoln)
                                                                                     Already have - (lincoln) - (7)
                                                                                         Advice. - (folkert)
                                                                                         work is work, good luck -NT - (boxley)
                                                                                         Good luck, Brian -NT - (malraux)
                                                                                         Good luck, Brian -NT - (malraux)
                                                                                         Best of luck. - (hnick)
                                                                                         Good deal! - (beepster)
                                                                                         Excellent news. Good luck! -NT - (Another Scott)
                                                                                 I don't get it. - (pwhysall) - (2)
                                                                                     Post #35342 -NT - (lincoln) - (1)
                                                                                         Best of luck with it! -NT - (pwhysall)
                                                         Do you really think - (lincoln) - (5)
                                                             Attitude flows through. - (malraux)
                                                             Let's assume you aren't - (crazy) - (3)
                                                                 ^------- This. -NT - (malraux)
                                                                 shoot me an email with the specifics - (lincoln) - (1)
                                                                     Its doesn;t matter your opinion or view of the subject. - (folkert)
                             It'll work fine - (drook) - (1)
                                 and if you want to be a bit more spritely - (beepster)
                             512? Not a problem. - (static)
                             my developers reside within shouting distance - (boxley) - (13)
                                 Well, that's not a big shock - (jake123) - (12)
                                     How so? - (drook) - (5)
                                         Well, indirectly quoting an old prof of mine - (jake123) - (4)
                                             no, disagree - (boxley)
                                             Hmm, not sure - (drook) - (2)
                                                 Re: maintenance mode - (jake123) - (1)
                                                     Don't think you can plame PHP for that :-) -NT - (drook)
                                     That's a rather negative viewpoint. - (static) - (5)
                                         s/PHP/any programming language -NT - (drook) - (4)
                                             Well, yes. - (static) - (3)
                                                 There's a line I remember from back before PHP won* - (drook) - (2)
                                                     Indeed. - (static) - (1)
                                                         And you can be in and out of a framework at the same time - (drook)
                             My sofasurfer has 512MB... - (pwhysall)
             That's probably the best advice. - (Another Scott)

Last minute panic is my Muse.
99 ms