IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Uh... hmm.
Effectively you'll need to do a "grub-install"

If booted from a Live/Rescue CD, make sure your Linux install is mounted somewhere like /sysimage/root and that the "/boot" directory is properly mounted as well if its a separate filesystem (/sysimage/root/boot) and it has the proper files in it (kernel, initrd, /sysimage/root/boot/grub/, etc...)

do a "grub-install --help" and make sure you are using the proper arguments, but effectively you'll need to do this:
grub-install --root-directory=/sysimage/root /dev/hda

Ensuring /dev/hda is the right device according to the Live/Rescue CD. Oh one other thing get a Live/Rescue CD that has the proper version of grub on it as well... (your Linux Version installed should probably be good one to use.)
New Not quite the case
The boot menu for the live CD let me boot from the first disk. I was able to run grub under the native system. I did everything up to rewriting the MBR and then started worrying about that. I just restarted the machine and got my grub menu. I took a little longer than usual to come up, but seems to be behaving normally.
I could be having some heat issues; it's well over 100F in my room here. I think I need a better fan in front of the drives at least.
If I have to rewrite the MBR later for some reason, do I rewrite it the the first disk in the chain or the one with grub boot/root on it? I have 3 SATA disks on it.

Thanks,
Hugh
New Yikes! Try to keep cool!
New Easier fantasized than done...
New Well, then its apparent...
You have something going on heat related.

But, the "chaining" you are talking about doesn't pertain to MBR. Its pertains to grub once its running. Chain booting will point things properly.

As long as the MBR knows where the menu.lst is, it doesn't matter.

use which ever the "device.map" declares as hd0... in fact

grub-install hd0

from the running system should work without a problem.

Yeah, I know its scary. Try doing it remotely. :P
New Thanks much
I always appreciate your advice. Thanks again.
Hugh
     GRUB question - (hnick) - (8)
         Describe what it does... - (folkert) - (7)
             Symptoms... - (hnick) - (6)
                 Uh... hmm. - (folkert) - (5)
                     Not quite the case - (hnick) - (4)
                         Yikes! Try to keep cool! -NT - (Another Scott) - (1)
                             Easier fantasized than done... -NT - (hnick)
                         Well, then its apparent... - (folkert) - (1)
                             Thanks much - (hnick)

Well, from then on, we had a whale of a time. I took her to dinner, I took her to dance. I bought her a bouquet of flounders. And then I went home with her. And what did I get for my trouble? A case of the clams.
76 ms