IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Upstart and VMWare.
Do those guys have a sane reason for dumping the SV init in version 9.x for something a lot more difficult to understand, then changing it substantially in 10.x so none of the on-line information worked any more?

Actually, yes. They wanted a desktop PC to start faster by running init scripts concurrently (with intelligent dependancy checking) instead of sequentially. I can tell you they've succeeded. A clean 10.04 install boots to a working desktop some three times faster than a clean 8.04 install. Shuts down faster, too.

The thing is called upstart and is configured by files in /etc/init. There are three scripts in there to run existing files in /etc/init.d/

I haven't tried VMWare on a Linux host; I used it on Windows XP and it felt a distinct step backwards from 1.x, though it ran without problems and I did useful work on it. On Linux, I recommend VirtualBox.

Wade.

Q:Is it proper to eat cheeseburgers with your fingers?
A:No, the fingers should be eaten separately.
New Well, that's mighty fine for a desktop . . .
. . but not needed for a server. But why didn't they get it right the first time? 10.0.4 does it differently, which is quite confusing.

But the main reason I rejected it is that I found people were having a lot of trouble getting VMware Server running on Ubuntu, and only the one patch needed for a smooth install on Debian Lenny.

Now that I have a patched version of the configurator I don't even need to mess with that.

And Virtual Box was out of the question. The software vendor distributes a VMware image, period, and won't support anything else.
Expand Edited by Andrew Grygus Aug. 11, 2010, 08:27:46 PM EDT
     Ubuntu Server - Also VMware 2.0 - (Andrew Grygus) - (11)
         Upstart and VMWare. - (static) - (1)
             Well, that's mighty fine for a desktop . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
         extremely please with kvm on redhat - (boxley) - (1)
             VMWare has other competencies - (malraux)
         Basically... - (folkert) - (6)
             How do you know this? - (mvitale) - (5)
                 pfiles and the debugger would be my guess. -NT - (jake123) - (4)
                     and strace and gdb - (folkert) - (3)
                         Ah, good ol' strace - (jake123)
                         So they've built it against an older glibc? - (static) - (1)
                             Its RedHat's issue... (and VMWare's) - (folkert)

Bila meludah, jangan begitu kuat, terima kasih.
41 ms