And a nastier indictment of English Language education in the US would be difficult to find...

Oh, wait. Ebonics.

*bonk self*

And - as far as stereotypes, there are Indian immigrants here I have no problem communicating with. It's just that most of the immigrants that I encounter (roughly 1/4 the population in this area, BTW) are difficult to understand. I guess that must be wrong, and the majority speak with crystal clarity and in fluent English, because it's a stereotype, right?

My skepticism comes from experience here, but I guess that most who speak fluent and easy-to-understand English must stay in India, rather than emigrate to English speaking countries (or at least to this part of NJ! *grin*). THAT rationale might preserve political correctness, and make Indians ideal help-desk-fodder.

Now, India is a huge country; there are probably a large number there with the English skills to pull off hellpdesk duty for English speakers... so such an enterprise as outlined in the article might work fine - until it becomes common (rather than simply accepted) practice. In the 'States, helpdesk is often the lowest of low-budget concerns - it's a cost center rather than a profit center, and therefore the among the first budgets to be cut in any enterprise. How long, do you suppose, would US companies using such an outsourcing technique insist on clear-speaking/fluent-in-English employees? After all, with a skill in demand, the more fluent would cost more to employ, no?

(sorry Peter - on reading this over, it's got a harsher tone than I intended... I should probably refrain from posting after a 2 hour commute)