IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Interesting article
But I didn't see anything there to indicate "Swede" or "Swedish" was referring to a race, not a nationality.
--

Drew
New tribe often indicates race
http://tripatlas.com/Svear
YMMV on tribe=race
New My rule-of-thumb definition of "race"
If you can move to a new country, and your kids are still the same thing as you are, that's race.

eg: Two Swedes get married and move to Germany. When they have kids, the kids are German. Same way I'm American.

Sure, I know that I have ancestors from Ireland, Italy, Germany, Scotland, Wales ... Okay, I'm not sure -- most of them didn't have papers when they came over, and some were far enough back that they identified with tribes instead of countries. All of that is nationality.

Racially I'm Caucasian, or white. If we moved to Canada and had more kids, they'd be Canadians. And Caucasian.
--

Drew
New bzzt wrong
Two Swedes get married and move to Germany. When they have kids, the kids are German
german law doesnt think so, they are legally swedes not germans. You dont look like you came from the Caucasus http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caucasus. You are looking thru a distinct american lens that has a lot to do with slavery and miscegeny than it has to with race and science
New I'm seeing things as an American? What a shock
--

Drew
New Things changed in Germany not too long ago.
http://en.wikipedia....itizenship_issues

Under previous German law, children born to foreigners in Germany were not entitled to German citizenship because the law was based on jus sanguinis, in other words on a blood connection. This was modified in 1991 and in 1999 German citizenship law recognised jus soli whereby people born in Germany could now claim citizenship.[84] In 2000, legislation was passed which conferred German citizenship on the German-born children of foreigners (born after 1990), and the naturalisation process was made easier, though dual citizenship is still not tolerated and any person possessing it by virtue of birth to foreign parents must choose between the ages of 18 and 23 which citizenship she or he wishes to retain, and forfeit the other.[85]

Cheers,
Scott.
New not quite the same as here but better than it was
New In any case, I was referring to parents who ...
... acquired German citizenship. The fact that "German" is a legal term, the definition of which can be changed by legislative action, proves my point that it's not a "race".

Race and nationality are different. And from what I know, "Swede" is a nationality.
--

Drew
New I think Germany might've been a bad example.
Australian naturalization laws are simpler: if you're born here, you're an Aussie, not matter what your parents are.

Dual-citizenship is more complicated but I think it works along the lines of "if the other country permits it (even only in some cases), we will too". So you find British/Australian citizens but I'm fairly sure you won't find US/Australian.

Wade.

Q:Is it proper to eat cheeseburgers with your fingers?
A:No, the fingers should be eaten separately.
New really
http://www.stewartsy...blackswhites1.htm

However a year later、the same court was faced with the trial of United States v. Bhagat Singh Thind (1923). The court ruled that a person from the Indian subcontinent could not become a naturalized United States citizen、because they were not "white". The Supreme Court conceded that anthropologists had classified Indians as Caucasians, and thus the same race as whites, as defined in Ozawa. However、it concluded that "the average man knows perfectly well that there are unmistakable and profound differences," and denied citizenship.

http://www.ling.fju....ogy/Caucasian.htm
now you know, its an american condition not a scientific one

New Let me try it from the other end
"Race" is obviously a complex, loaded term. But whatever it means, in whatever context, does anyone think "Swedish" is a race?
--

Drew
New yes they are a northern germanic tribe not iranian or turkic
distinct but related to other northern germanic tribes. Distinct but unrelated to the hibernians celts franks saxons and huns
New The Huns spoke Altaic languages . . .
. . but all the rest you mention speak Indo-European, indicating a probable relationship.
New Will you guys cut it out...
..if you identify 20 more races than we have on all those government forms, we'll have to get them all re-printed...and I'll insist that it be done in a deficit-neutral fashion!!!
I will choose a path that's clear. I will choose freewill.
New I think it's kind of fun.
Of course, you can take it to absurd extremes.

Italian is a synthetic "race". A lot of Italians identify as Sicilian, Napolese, Venitian or Milanese rather than Italian. Much the same happens all over Europe.

Wade.

Q:Is it proper to eat cheeseburgers with your fingers?
A:No, the fingers should be eaten separately.
     borderline lrpd - (boxley) - (17)
         Serious question: Is "Swedish" a race? -NT - (drook) - (16)
             Re: Serious question: Is "Swedish" a race? - (boxley) - (15)
                 Interesting article - (drook) - (14)
                     tribe often indicates race - (boxley) - (13)
                         My rule-of-thumb definition of "race" - (drook) - (12)
                             bzzt wrong - (boxley) - (11)
                                 I'm seeing things as an American? What a shock -NT - (drook)
                                 Things changed in Germany not too long ago. - (Another Scott) - (9)
                                     not quite the same as here but better than it was -NT - (boxley)
                                     In any case, I was referring to parents who ... - (drook) - (7)
                                         I think Germany might've been a bad example. - (static)
                                         really - (boxley) - (5)
                                             Let me try it from the other end - (drook) - (4)
                                                 yes they are a northern germanic tribe not iranian or turkic - (boxley) - (3)
                                                     The Huns spoke Altaic languages . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                                                         Will you guys cut it out... - (beepster) - (1)
                                                             I think it's kind of fun. - (static)

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...
133 ms