IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Hope not... XP activation can bite a VM
A VM will present a different set of hardware to the OS compared to the real machine and Winders Product Activation will throw a hissy fit.

That said, I used to run W98 and W2K under VMWare 1.x without much trouble. VMWare 2 was a rushed to market bloated pig which pretty much made running from a native partition impossible. I've given up on it after trying several point releases (almost full CD download needed every time).

After that, I tried VirtualBox-OSE but that one just eats the CPU and any attempt to fix that made Winders unbootable. AFAIK, the OSE variant has limited or no USB support.
New Thanks. I'll punt on that. Ubuntu 10.4 is *very* good.
I forgot about the activation issue....

I've installed Ubuntu 10.4 on my Lenovo T61, Lenovo S12, and Fujitsu P7120D laptops. I've had to do almost no configuration thus far. Everything is working well, except WiFi on the S12. I did an update of the S12 over Ethernet last night, so I'm sure I'll be able to load the appropriate driver today. The S12 also hangs for a period on booting - something to do with Compiz or something that apparently is easy to resolve. Sleep and Hibernate work out of the box.

I'm very impressed. So far, almost everything "just works". If the T61 stays running reasonably well, it might save me from shelling out for yet another machine (an i7 laptop would be nice, but it looks like much better machines are coming around the end of the year, and the MacBooks Pros are always calling...). I haven't yet tried doing "real work" on them though... ;-)

Thanks.

[edit: typo]

Cheers,
Scott.
Expand Edited by Another Scott July 25, 2010, 09:35:03 AM EDT
     Quick (I hope) VM question - Boot installed Winders? - (Another Scott) - (3)
         Might not be necessary... - (Another Scott) - (2)
             Hope not... XP activation can bite a VM - (scoenye) - (1)
                 Thanks. I'll punt on that. Ubuntu 10.4 is *very* good. - (Another Scott)

"I couldn't have done it without him, sir."

"Cheek."
38 ms