IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New The Windup Girl
I saw this novel by Paolo Bacigalupi at the bookstore and thought it sounded interesting, and it most definitely is as it's kept me up reading the past few nights.

Hadn't heard of him before I saw it - it's his first novel, released last year, and won the Nebula and Campbell and was in Time Magazines top 10 for 2009.

The setting is sometime in the future (probably 100+ years from now) when the age of oil has long been gone. Companies that develop GM food have released biologically engineered viruses to destroy other countries' food supplies in order to create markets for their products. By the time of the novel, most of the world has collapsed due to these viruses mutating every few years.

The story follows Anderson Lake, who works for one of these midwestern companies. He's in Thailand searching for new sources of genetic material that his company can exploit. He encounters Emiko, a Windup Girl. She's a Japanese creation - a genetically engineered being that's designed to do whatever her owner wants them to do. Her owner left her in Thailand when he returned to Japan as it was more cost-effective for him to just buy a replacement when he returns home(plus he then gets the latest model). She has no legal standing in Thailand, and, as a non-person, is in danger of being killed by the authorities and having her remains tossed into the methane generation facilities.

I'm about half way thru the book and suspect I'll be up late for the rest of the week :)
New Sounds interesting. Thanks for the pointer.
New Ah... another author who knows how to extrapolate accurately
from today's ethics-free Free Market Capitalismo. One could use that seed to write a shelf-ful of what-ifs.
As this is apparently artfully done, shall add it to list for reading when in a lugubrious mood of despairing for adulthood ever arriving, species-wide. :-)

(Sometimes doomsday scenarios indeed demonstrate Cosmic Humor, while also offending most sensibilities.) Which can only be a Good Thing, I wot.

I could almost see voting for Palin in 2012 on the grounds that this sorry ratfucking excuse for a republic, this savage, smirking, predatory empire deserves her. Bring on the Rapture, motherfuckers!
-- via RC
New Finished it last night
lots of unexpected twists and turns at the end (as well as a few things that were easily foreseen). All in all an excellent book.

Only thing I questioned was they're struggling to survive and most of the other countries were wastelands(assuming I didn't misread something), so why were the surviving nations still so concerned about CO2 emissions (from coal). Possibly a way to control the population? His short stories appear to be set in the same universe, perhaps one of them might explain it.

I checked out his site today and this book and Pump Six and Other Stories are available on DRM-free ebooks. PSOS is apparently sold out and won't be released in paperback until the end of the year.
http://windupstories.com/
http://windupstories...ebook-reader-too/
New it's out now
stopped in at B&N during lunch to do some more Xmas shopping and picked Pump Six and Other Stories up off the New Releases shelf in the Sci-Fi section. Also picked up his other book, Ship Breaker. It was over in the Teens section.
New The Drowned Cities
Stopped in at the bookstore during lunch and saw his latest book on the endcap, so picked it up. Have company coming for the weekend for the Art Car Parade so I probably won't start reading it until Sunday night. I'm really looking forward to it based on how good the other 3 books were.

I did find this interesting interview with Mr. Bacigalupi about it:
http://blogs.westwor..._novelist_pao.php
     The Windup Girl - (SpiceWare) - (5)
         Sounds interesting. Thanks for the pointer. -NT - (Another Scott)
         Ah... another author who knows how to extrapolate accurately - (Ashton)
         Finished it last night - (SpiceWare) - (1)
             it's out now - (SpiceWare)
         The Drowned Cities - (SpiceWare)

No, no. We have to provide potential hostages over there so they won’t look for potential hostages over here.
133 ms