IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New The power draw from the wall depends on the load.
I don't have any personal experience with dual PSes. Here are some numbers someone measured with a "kill-a-watt" meter - http://www.hps.com/~...otebook/power.php

If the server needs 500 watts to run, it'll draw some fraction more than that from the wall (since the power supply isn't 100% efficient) - say 750 watts total.

I'd guess that you'll see very little additional power drawn from the wall with both supplies installed compared to a single supply. The server itself won't care as long as it gets the required voltages and currents, but the protection peripherals probably don't like running on just one power supply.

(Googlie-goo...)

Hmm. It seems that for at least some Dell servers, both power supplies are designed to supply half of the required power, and it switches to single-supply-mode if one fails. http://serverfault.c...-ups-dell-servers That said, the power efficiency should still be only slightly worse than a comparable single power supply.

HTH a little.

Cheers,
Scott.
New That's kinda what I thought.
Considering it's just going to be sitting in my apartment and I don't think I could find a different circuit to plug it into without an insanely long and inconvenient extension cord, I'll just use the Y-cable I found last night. :-)

Wade.

Q:Is it proper to eat cheeseburgers with your fingers?
A:No, the fingers should be eaten separately.
New Isn't it annoyingly noisy?
New I used to have an old p75 server right near my bed,
back in my share-house days. When I finally retired it, I hardly slept for a few days because the silence was too loud...
They said I was gullible ... and I believed them
New Haven't had it running for long yet.
The beast is heavy, too, and I wanted to put it in it's home before cabling it up nicely and installing stuff on it.

Initially, I'll just rely on closing the bedroom door (I do that now for the existing box - it's an old P200 but one of the drives has a whining bearing), but that won't work when I want to watch TV. Or eat a meal. I've got a big sheet of MDF I'm intending to build an enclosure with, along with a little sound insulation.

Wade.

Q:Is it proper to eat cheeseburgers with your fingers?
A:No, the fingers should be eaten separately.
New Ah, the old days
When I had a UPS that could handle 2 servers.
Not just one, but bunches of them. This was before we could afford the total data center battery. So every system I put in included lots of UPSs.

And each server had 2 power supplies.
And each power supply had it's own UPS.
That could handle 2 systems, but was dedicated to that box.

My uptime was phenomenal, including riding through lengthy blackouts.
     Dell server question. - (static) - (7)
         The power draw from the wall depends on the load. - (Another Scott) - (5)
             That's kinda what I thought. - (static) - (4)
                 Isn't it annoyingly noisy? -NT - (pwhysall) - (2)
                     I used to have an old p75 server right near my bed, - (Meerkat)
                     Haven't had it running for long yet. - (static)
                 Ah, the old days - (crazy)
         fail over - (boxley)

Return the relics to the elephants, and Atlantis rises.
49 ms