IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New San Francisco in 1905
I find this video hypnotic:

http://www.snotr.com/video/4547

I'm amazed by the mix of traffic (foot, horse, wagon, car, trolley) and an apparently complete lack of rules of the road. I wonder how many people got hit by things back then.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New It is an interesting slice of back-then.
Several points...

* The interplay of trams and cable-cars was interesting, as was the variety of horse-drawn vehicles.

* There was a posted comment about why were there so many cars before the Model T; Model-T was far from the first car.

* I think the footage was a bit slow, like maybe 10% too slow. People were not walking "fast enough".

I've heard stories about Sydney from about that time, too. One of my favourites is the tram loop outside Randwick Racecourse after the racing. The trams used to pull into the loop and trundle slowly through the forecourt, passengers alighting and boarding all the while. As each tram reached the end of the loop, it sped up and left, whilst more arrived. I'm told this technique moved a fantastic amount of people in a short space of time.

You'd never get away with it today, of course. The safety people would always insist the trams stop before passengers got off or on. Although this is really a reflection of later generations abdicating personal safety :-(. Another example: up until the 70s, trains in Sydney did not have automatic doors and they were often left open by passengers between stations who knew that you didn't lean or jump out whilst it was travelling at speed...

Wade.

Q:Is it proper to eat cheeseburgers with your fingers?
A:No, the fingers should be eaten separately.
New hey no potholes!
the traffic situation is explained by 2 things. No liability so therefore insurance was not required
thanx,
bill
New Neat. Thanks.
New Check out Harold Loyyd in "Speedy"
His last silent film. I would have posted a link but all I could find on a quick search was edited crap with some jagoff's idea of a great soundtrack.

Shows New York at the very end of the horse drawn trolley era.
I think the single most compelling piece of evidence for global warming is that Fox News viewers think it's a hoax.
New I didn't know that..
notice the slot between tracks?

Seems that (flat) Market Street 'streetcars'/trams, Not-trolleys ... were cable cars!
They do work on the flats, of course, but the expense. Maybe they did beat out a maze of overhead wires, when all the costs were plotted.

I used to wander all over Market as a tad; seem to have missed in this the Powell St. entry (on left) which later featured a turntable, where most tourist photos happened: you could help the brakeman, driver turn the sucker around!

Ladies, in no uniform for hustling -- playing chicken with the photg car!!
New Re: San Francisco in 1905
I wonder how many people got hit by things back then.

Lots. Especially people getting trampled by horses. Ouchiewawa.
     San Francisco in 1905 - (malraux) - (6)
         It is an interesting slice of back-then. - (static)
         hey no potholes! - (boxley)
         Neat. Thanks. -NT - (Another Scott)
         Check out Harold Loyyd in "Speedy" - (Silverlock)
         I didn't know that.. - (Ashton)
         Re: San Francisco in 1905 - (pwhysall)

Creating things is hard. I tried to write a drinking song once but I couldn’t get past the first few bars.
48 ms