IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Well I guess it can happen to anyone
pursuant to the famous Bill Gate's blue screen on demo day...

Steve Jobs can't seem to get any bandwidth for his new iPhone..

http://gizmodo.com/5...-keynote-meltdown
I will choose a path that's clear. I will choose freewill.
New clash of the WiFi?
I imagine a number of people had those 3G - WiFi hotspots with them.
New 570 or so...
MacRumors and AppleInsider were two sites that I know of that were "live blogging" it. I'm sure there were many others. I'm not at all surprised that the bandwidth was being eaten until Steve gave the number and asked again that people shut their laptops off.

FWIW.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Just ran across that at AppleInsider
http://www.appleinsi..._fi_meltdown.html
Jobs revealed that there were 570 Wi-Fi base stations within the auditorium

I'm not surprised that that many base stations in 1 room would cause problems.
New WiFi channels are a problem.
I really wonder what the designers of the original 802.11b were thinking when they put the channels to close together they overlap so much. (Interestingly, there are scads more in 802.11a. Pity most people have abandoned 802.11a.)

I found a nifty app for my Android phone that shows me all APs it can see, their channel and signal strength. Then it graphs it prettily. Around my parent's home, there are three neighbours' APs which fade in and out. In my new flat, there are at least six and I've still got to set mine up. If I catch the bus from work to the station in the evening, I can watch it find dozens as it goes through the city. :-)

It is interesting to see how many people go for the "non-clashing" channels of 1, 6 and 11.

Wade.

Q:Is it proper to eat cheeseburgers with your fingers?
A:No, the fingers should be eaten separately.
New Gory details as to why and when
http://www.iep.gmu.e...History_Paper.pdf

If you look only at the formal 802.11 standards, it looks like a and b came out almost together. On the ground, the informal b precursors owned the market. a never gained traction because it would have forced replacement of all equipment with significantly more expensive kit.

Without collisions, bandwidth gain at the time would not have been enough to warrant a wholesale upgrade. Even wired networks were only starting to go beyond 10 Mb hubs at the time.
New Wow.
That's fascinating.

Thank you so much!

Wade.

New So who's going to get a new iphone
"Pictures are better then words because some words are big and hard to understand"
Peter Griffin (Family Guy)
New not me
every other year, so I'll get the iPhone 5 next summer.

Now that they're making 300+ ppi displays, wonder how long until monitors and laptop screens get better - we've been stuck around 100 for far too long. When I was running OS/2 I ran a 19" Sony at 2048x1536, about 142 ppi, and it was sweet - made OS/2's lack of anti-aliased fonts a non-issue. Of course trying to hit the window controls became a tad difficult, but both Apple and Microsoft have the beginnings of resolution independence in place.

http://en.wikipedia....tion_independence
New Waiting till they increase storage
I'm getting closer and closer to the 32GB limit on my 3GS. And if they offer some kind of subscription/streaming iTunes (or if Rhapsody improves theirs so it's actually usable offline/while driving) I'll definitely want that extra space.

New My wife, probably. :-P
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New It sounds nice, but I don't want AT&T.
New Currently in-contract until this time next year...
...and then, probably yes.
New Probably...
Never.
New :-D
I was going to post along the same lines, but never quite got a round tuit...

Wade.

New buy one here
http://www.google.co...3&ved=0CDUQrQQwAg

"Chicago to my mind was the only place to be. ... I above all liked the city because it was filled with people all a-bustle, and the clatter of hooves and carriages, and with delivery wagons and drays and peddlers and the boom and clank of freight trains. And when those black clouds came sailing in from the west, pouring thunderstorms upon us so that you couldn't hear the cries or curses of humankind, I liked that best of all. Chicago could stand up to the worst God had to offer. I understood why it was built--a place for trade, of course, with railroads and ships and so on, but mostly to give all of us a magnitude of defiance that is not provided by one house on the plains. And the plains is where those storms come from."

-- E.L. Doctorow
New Why am I surprised that search works?

New one of these days I will have to buy a cell phone
have been without for almost a year and dont miss the damn thing at all
New I have 3 now.. pikers.
*Old* -- like a year, say? castoffs of friends. Cute little buggers , icon infested with nested functions to do all sorts of stuff. The clocks always show right time and cute indicators for sig. strength.

'Course the most recent one, teensy enough to fall out of any pocket, says -- 'SIM card registration failed' --
Sounds ominously unwilling to advance to any dial-tone like state. Bloody Nokia somethingorother.

Fortunately the 2 others (in car) are older (one with analog, still == stronger signal in these parts, depending.
These appear not to care They are, apparently, quite functional for their ONE REAL PURPOSE:

Calling 911 at 3AM, should the wheels fall off. Alas, I can never 'test' the alleged fact that ALL services must take 911, even if unregistered: I accept that the dial tone is an infallible precursor that, probably. It. Would.

The monthly price is Right, and I can flip-open one and pretend to be one of the Illuminati, anytime. No added fee. Perfect consumer products, these! I must disassemble one soon.

New I'm in.
Bought my 3GS outright last year for that reason, will do the same with the 4.
They said I was gullible ... and I believed them
New Mark Morford thinks there's more to it
http://www.sfgate.co...1/notes061110.DTL

Sex death apocalypse iPhone 4

By Mark Morford, SF Gate Columnist

Friday, June 11, 2010

There I was, calmly ogling Steve Jobs' shinyperfect new baby like a junkie rabbit at a carrot factory in SaladTown, happily swooning over its graceful industrial design and everstunned at the tiny slab's explicit lickability and amazing capabilities.

How easy to get caught up in the sheer madhouse magic of it all, the gyroscopes and voice activators, antennae and compasses, multiple cameras and 5,000 sensors designed to recognize when you might be hanging upside down from a banyan tree at midnight, suddenly needing to shoot high-definition video of a wild giraffe stampede whilst checking World Cup scores while live video-chatting with your wife in France while pricing out a flight to Singapore while doing, um, 2,000 other rather ridiculous things you could never have imagined in a million years back on the day you were born.

And I'm thinking, sweet insanity of life, what wonderful/nefarious creatures are we? How can we keep doing this in the face of all that? How is it that we can keep creating such beauty and cool wonder in the midst of meltdown and pain? What sort of desperate dance is this? Are we spinning faster and faster toward doom? Ecstasy? Both? Are they really the same thing? Aha.

[. . .]

New No takers, eh?
Wrong forum, I wot.

I'll try a different tack.

I could almost see voting for Palin in 2012 on the grounds that this sorry ratfucking excuse for a republic, this savage, smirking, predatory empire deserves her. Bring on the Rapture, motherfuckers!
-- via RC
New I let it slip through. Thanks for the ping. A good read.
New IRLRPD
Any minute now, solar power and French fry grease, nanotechnology and organic microlending neurobiological hemp-powered oil-eating magic bacteria will take over and make it all better. Right?
--

Drew
New multitasking to no end? not sure of the point
New If I had to put it in one sentence, believe he said..
In the final analysis, everything depends on ... everything else.
(That's why they call him,) --Ashleigh Brilliant

I could almost see voting for Palin in 2012 on the grounds that this sorry ratfucking excuse for a republic, this savage, smirking, predatory empire deserves her. Bring on the Rapture, motherfuckers!
-- via RC
     Well I guess it can happen to anyone - (beepster) - (25)
         clash of the WiFi? - (SpiceWare) - (5)
             570 or so... - (Another Scott) - (1)
                 Just ran across that at AppleInsider - (SpiceWare)
             WiFi channels are a problem. - (static) - (2)
                 Gory details as to why and when - (scoenye) - (1)
                     Wow. - (static)
         So who's going to get a new iphone -NT - (Bman) - (18)
             not me - (SpiceWare)
             Waiting till they increase storage - (altmann)
             My wife, probably. :-P -NT - (malraux)
             It sounds nice, but I don't want AT&T. -NT - (Another Scott)
             Currently in-contract until this time next year... - (pwhysall)
             Probably... - (folkert) - (5)
                 :-D - (static) - (2)
                     buy one here - (lincoln) - (1)
                         Why am I surprised that search works? -NT - (static)
                 one of these days I will have to buy a cell phone - (boxley) - (1)
                     I have 3 now.. pikers. - (Ashton)
             I'm in. - (Meerkat)
             Mark Morford thinks there's more to it - (Ashton) - (5)
                 No takers, eh? - (Ashton) - (2)
                     I let it slip through. Thanks for the ping. A good read. -NT - (Another Scott)
                     IRLRPD - (drook)
                 multitasking to no end? not sure of the point -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                     If I had to put it in one sentence, believe he said.. - (Ashton)

1500: The Goal, the Mission, the Odyssey.
92 ms