IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Let's go Godwin
If you could go back in time, would it be ethical to kill the scientist who proposed that dietary fat caused heart disease? (ref: standard "Would you kill Hitler?" trope)
--

Drew
New Sure... why not.
Its not like anything else would have really stopped the Germans from doing it a second time in 25 years.

I'd nail Adolf him in a heartbeat.

As far as the Scientist that lead us to this assumption... if I recall it wasn't just one person, but a group.
New What's that line that ends with "... let God sort 'em out"?
--

Drew
New Kind of innocent
The scientists involved pretty much said "we don't have any solid research yet, come back later" and were asked "where does it look like the preliminary stuff points?" and then "people are dying, we need an answer NOW!"

The dietary fat hypothesis isn't wrong science, it is preliminary stuff that never panned out.
---------------------------------------
I think it's perfectly clear we're in the wrong band.
(Tori Amos)
New I wasn't necessarily talking about the scientists
After all, Hitler pointed to scientific sources for eugenics. It was the policy decisions that were a problem.

The false sense of urgency -- "people are dying" -- is done on purpose to force through changes that are more about power and control than anything else. Ref: "for the children" and COPA
--

Drew
New Don't know if I'd even say false
Dealing with hundreds of millions of people, a small chance of a small improvement, waiting another year for better data kills a whole bunch of people.

Of course, so does using incomplete data.

Hence the old saying

Don't just do something, Stand There!

Maybe there is a bad guy in this story. But it also could be a tragic collision of good intentions.
(Tori Amos)
New Lord, protect me from the well-intentioned
--

Drew
New Re: Let's go Godwin
Never mind killing Adolf: kill those idiots that wouldn't let Herr Shiklgrüber into the art institute, for all those petty reasons (no talent, etc.)
Problem solved without all the [killing-your-grandfather] X [50 million was it?]
-- only a handful of evaporated offspring to track through the 11-dimensional save-phace-space.
New You seen the guy's paintings?
We dodged an aesthetic bullet sending him over to politics, let me tell you.
(Tori Amos)
     irlrpd - (boxley) - (10)
         Taubes and Atkins - (mhuber) - (9)
             Let's go Godwin - (drook) - (8)
                 Sure... why not. - (folkert) - (5)
                     What's that line that ends with "... let God sort 'em out"? -NT - (drook)
                     Kind of innocent - (mhuber) - (3)
                         I wasn't necessarily talking about the scientists - (drook) - (2)
                             Don't know if I'd even say false - (mhuber) - (1)
                                 Lord, protect me from the well-intentioned -NT - (drook)
                 Re: Let's go Godwin - (Ashton) - (1)
                     You seen the guy's paintings? - (mhuber)

Well first you have to wipe the yak butter off.
45 ms