IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I guess Hell has frozen over
when the two of you agree on something. Of course, since both of you are employed and aren't looking for work in the worst economy in over 80 years, you two have absolutely no fucking idea of how bad it is out there. Especially you Peter since you haven't written code in years and thus do not have to compete against H-1B and L-1 visa holders from India who are more than willing to work for 1/3 your salary.

Peter, you say, "employers won't pay for you to be trained and experienced". WOW! I totally have forgotten that over the past dozen years, thanks for refreshing my memory. Which goes right up to the paragraph above WHERE I STATE THAT I'M TEACHING MYSELF. Did you miss that? Sure reads that way in your post. My last employer-paid training program was in 1999, on a product that the team would never use. (The manager had to spend the money in his educational budget or lose it the following year.) Besides, Peter, please post the link to anything I've said in this thread where I even come close to alleging that I want the employer to pay for the training. Go ahead - I'll wait. But will you be man enough to admit that you went off on an irrelevant tangent by admitting that I said no such thing? I won't keep my hopes up...

For YOUR education, I'll say it again: without having it on the resume as being used at a previous employer, nobody gives a shit. Employers want someone who has USED what they have on their boxes today at their last job. If it ain't there, they don't care. Since dozens of recruiters have told me this, maybe there's some truth to it, ya think?

"Chicago to my mind was the only place to be. ... I above all liked the city because it was filled with people all a-bustle, and the clatter of hooves and carriages, and with delivery wagons and drays and peddlers and the boom and clank of freight trains. And when those black clouds came sailing in from the west, pouring thunderstorms upon us so that you couldn't hear the cries or curses of humankind, I liked that best of all. Chicago could stand up to the worst God had to offer. I understood why it was built--a place for trade, of course, with railroads and ships and so on, but mostly to give all of us a magnitude of defiance that is not provided by one house on the plains. And the plains is where those storms come from."

-- E.L. Doctorow
New Shrug
You're getting free advice in this thread, and you're wasting energy being a confrontational arsehead. AScott gave you a very, very good suggestion (volunteer) which you can use to get real, concrete experience ("Wrote/maintained module FOO for famous open source project BAR") which you can, in good faith, put on your resoomay.

Or just get the fuck out of IT and do something else - start your own business, become a conslutant, go on the game, become a celebrity sushi chef, etc etc.
New Re: Shrug
Yeah, AScott DID give good advice - you didn't; you just came in with a fuckwit attitude, and when called on it, still copped some attitude. For you to insult me is just one huge "Pot meet Kettle".

I'd love to get out of IT if I could afford to, but right now I have no desire to try to live on a starting over salary of around $30K (that's approx 24,400 in Euros), and that's only if someone would hire a person with no experience in that industry - a barrier I face everyday here in Houston where fully 48% of all jobs are in the oil and gas industry or support the companies in the oil and gas industry, an industry that rarely hires from outside the industry (unless we have a Bill Clinton economy, which ain't gonna happen for the next 10 years).

"Chicago to my mind was the only place to be. ... I above all liked the city because it was filled with people all a-bustle, and the clatter of hooves and carriages, and with delivery wagons and drays and peddlers and the boom and clank of freight trains. And when those black clouds came sailing in from the west, pouring thunderstorms upon us so that you couldn't hear the cries or curses of humankind, I liked that best of all. Chicago could stand up to the worst God had to offer. I understood why it was built--a place for trade, of course, with railroads and ships and so on, but mostly to give all of us a magnitude of defiance that is not provided by one house on the plains. And the plains is where those storms come from."

-- E.L. Doctorow
     Conficker it out? Here's a detailed account - (rcareaga) - (38)
         Mostly good ... except ... - (drook) - (37)
             Missing two of the biggest issues known... - (folkert) - (36)
                 Oh, forgot to come back when I finished the article - (drook) - (34)
                     I don't want to run Windows Vista or Windows 7 - (lincoln) - (33)
                         Where did I say I desired anything? - (drook) - (26)
                             Correction - (altmann) - (1)
                                 Ahh, my bad -NT - (drook)
                             Then show me - (lincoln) - (23)
                                 Two things - (drook) - (21)
                                     Re: Two things - (lincoln) - (20)
                                         Keep ignoring advice... - (folkert) - (19)
                                             And you're ignoring reality - (lincoln) - (18)
                                                 Re: And you're ignoring reality - (folkert) - (17)
                                                     Indeed. - (pwhysall) - (3)
                                                         I guess Hell has frozen over - (lincoln) - (2)
                                                             Shrug - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                                                 Re: Shrug - (lincoln)
                                                     Project much? - (lincoln) - (12)
                                                         http://www.redhat.com/certification/rhce/ - (boxley)
                                                         So... you have made it impossible for me to... - (folkert) - (10)
                                                             Re: So... you have made it impossible for me to... - (lincoln) - (9)
                                                                 I *CAN'T* answer because of your conditions set out. - (folkert) - (8)
                                                                     I give up - (lincoln) - (7)
                                                                         Awesome. Now that you have finally come to the... - (folkert) - (2)
                                                                             Hey Greg (just saw this thread) - (crazy) - (1)
                                                                                 Well, its true... I *DO* prefer OSS stuff over - (folkert)
                                                                         Don't give up. It's just getting good. :-) - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                                             if you are thinking java join the local SUG - (boxley)
                                                                         That would be strike one. - (beepster)
                                                                         Advice from a career counselor. - (Another Scott)
                                 Volunteer somewhere doing what you like/want to do. - (Another Scott)
                         With recent statement from you... - (folkert) - (5)
                             Yeah, a Linux distro from a few years ago - (lincoln) - (4)
                                 Not so - (pwhysall)
                                 For someone who claims to know very little about linux - (crazy)
                                 I'm running... - (folkert)
                                 Definitely not so. - (static)
                 'Ring 0' says it all.. - (Ashton)

What was that "kneejerk" emoticon again?
130 ms