IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Does not compute
Five of my dollars still buys a Whopper combo.

Eight of my dollars still buys a movie ticket.

The dollar is worth as much as it ever was.

Oh, unless you're talking about buying imported products. That's the only time exchange rates and the "strength" of the dollar matter. So we need a "strong" dollar so we can afford to buy more imported goods. But ... a trade deficit is a bad thing, isn't it? Cognitive dissonance here.

Maybe the problem is that imported goods make up such a huge proportion of all goods sold here that "a strong dollar buys more imported goods" is functionally equivalent to "a strong dollar buys more goods".

Oh goody, a feedback loop!
--

Drew
New how many dollars for a gallon of gas?
hows the heating bill going. Price of a tbone and you 60oz carton of OJ? had my first whopper yesturday in several years and it was 6.69 if movie tickets are only $8 why does my kid need a $20 to go there?
If we torture the data long enough, it will confess. (Ronald Coase, Nobel Prize for Economic Sciences, 1991)
New Gas should cost more
The only other countries with gas prices as low as ours are exporters. We're subsidizing gas prices in lots of ways.

Heating bill sucks, but I'm on natural gas, not oil, so it doesn't fluctuate as much.

OJ has major seasonal and year-to-year fluctuations based on the weather in Florida. (And by the way, if they eliminated the slavery, it would probably cost more year-round.)

T-bone actually should cost a lot more, if we got rid of the corn subsidies.

Whopper price, you're near the Atlanta market, I'm near Cleveland. I'll bet it's higher in New York.

Movie tickets, you really think your kid is just buying tickets with that?

I guess my question is, are you claiming that a "strong dollar" will buy more domestically-produced goods?
--

Drew
New Actually, yes.
Adult ticket+IMAX+3d = surcharges here. A ticket can be about $18.
New Maybe near you.
I saw Avatar in IMAX 3D for $8.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Hey
Flyover country is cheap to live in. I know this.
     Krugman on leaving the Euro. - (Another Scott) - (11)
         Felix Salmon gives Roubini's view. - (Another Scott) - (10)
             That can't be right - (drook) - (9)
                 Brawndo! It's got electrolytes! It's what plants crave! -NT - (Another Scott)
                 then why have we been kicking a mudhole thru the USD - (boxley) - (7)
                     Does not compute - (drook) - (5)
                         how many dollars for a gallon of gas? - (boxley) - (4)
                             Gas should cost more - (drook) - (3)
                                 Actually, yes. - (crazy) - (2)
                                     Maybe near you. - (malraux) - (1)
                                         Hey - (crazy)
                     Sarcasm - (crazy)

Your ears are broken.
72 ms