1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New This maze will move you.
SFW.

http://eatliver.com/i.php?n=5624

Wade.

Q:Is it proper to eat cheeseburgers with your fingers?
A:No, the fingers should be eaten separately.
New Neat. (Easy to solve though.)
New on mazes
stick your left hand on the left wall, walk out the other end, boring but it works
If we torture the data long enough, it will confess. (Ronald Coase, Nobel Prize for Economic Sciences, 1991)
New same colors as the rotating snakes
http://www.ritsumei....aoka/index-e.html
New Yes.
That contrast of colour obviously confuses the bit of our brain that does motion detection. I wonder if anyone has studied that...

Wade.

Q:Is it proper to eat cheeseburgers with your fingers?
A:No, the fingers should be eaten separately.
New Simple motion-sickness Rx
Hi-lite the sucker; as Static suggests, apparently this exact-pair's color contrast indeed buggers the mixer in an (unpronounceable) section of the optic path -- which I suppose is no more bizarre than is the audio translator into er, native brain-code. We are walking enigmas inside paradoxes avec metaphors.

5 seconds, and I ain't got no special gamer genes whatsoever.
(May help Not to have binocular vision?)
New That maze is steady as a rock . . .
. . and the snakes don't rotate either - though they do vibrate just a little at the center.

No - I'm not at all color blind.

I do, however have eyes about 2° out of register (with the anchor point at the right edge of vision). When I open both eyes it takes about 1/2 second for the images to counter-rotate and achieve register. This additional coordination effort seems to kill a number of optical illusions.
New It's a peripheral vision effect for me.
If I concentrate on the center of my vision, it's steady. If I "zone out" a little and concentrate more on the periphery, then the motion is more intense.

When I first saw the maze illusion, I didn't notice the motion at all either.

Vision is amazingly complicated. For instance, all of us are blind a reasonably large fraction of the time due to "saccades" - http://www.google.co...mvR1Jid0hYjWeNBIA (4 page .pdf)

[...]

Put your face about 6 inches from a mirror and look from eye to eye. You’ll notice that while you’re obviously switching your gaze from eye to eye, you can’t see your own eyes actually moving—only the end result when they come to rest on the new point of focus. Now get someone else to watch you doing so in the mirror. They can clearly see your eyes shifting, while to you it’s quite invisible.

With longer saccades, you can consciously perceive the effect, but only just. Hold your arms out straight so your two index fingers are at opposite edges of your vision. Flick your eyes between them while keeping your head still. You can just about notice the momentary blackness as all visual input from the eyes is cut off. Saccades of this length take around 200 ms (a fifth of a second), which lies just on the threshold of conscious perception.

What if something happens during a saccade? Well, unless it’s really bright, you’ll simply not see it. That’s what’s so odd about saccades. We’re doing it constantly, but it doesn’t look as if the universe is being blanked out a hundred thousand times a day for around a tenth of a second every time.

[...]

Neat stuff.

Cheers,
Scott.
New That's the basis of some speed reading
They supposedly train you to track words more smoothly without the saccades.
--

Drew
     This maze will move you. - (static) - (8)
         Neat. (Easy to solve though.) -NT - (Another Scott)
         on mazes - (boxley)
         same colors as the rotating snakes - (SpiceWare) - (1)
             Yes. - (static)
         Simple motion-sickness Rx - (Ashton)
         That maze is steady as a rock . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
             It's a peripheral vision effect for me. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                 That's the basis of some speed reading - (drook)

If the people speak and the king doesn't listen, there is something wrong with the king. If the king acts precipitously and the people say nothing, something is wrong with the people.
74 ms