IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Well that was a nice waste of 2 hours. Printing on OS X.
We have 2 Macs and 3 PCs on our little network. For years we've been able to print from the Macs to printers (Lexmark E234 and Canon i550) shared from a Windows 2000 PC. Until yesterday.

In my various attempts at fixing the problem, I managed to delete the offending printer and wasn't able to get it back. When I entered things manually, I kept getting a "256" error.

Until I found this. So much for discoverable interfaces...

http://erikjheels.com/?p=717

Now comes the magic, silly, undocumented, user-hostile trick that you were supposed to just guess. I added a sticky note to my screen to capture the beauty of this trick. Here it is. Go back to the Printer Browser window. You have to option-click on the "More Printers" button to get the (usually hidden) "Advanced" menu in the next screen. Now why didn't I think of that?

Following the given steps exactly works for me.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Its near exactly the same on...
Linux to Windows.

Except we knows its broken and have to manually edit the printer.
New that's pretty bad.
Guess I've been lucky as I've only shared the other way around and had my dad put Bonjour on his work laptop so he could print.

My Windows machines for work are on a separate network than my home computers, so I have one of them hooked up via the printer's parallel port and share it to the other work computers.
New We're still on Panther (10.4). Dunno if it's better on L/SL.
New 10.3 is Panther. 10.4 is Tiger. Just sayin'.
New Whoops. Thanks. The 2xG5 is on 10.4.11, IIRC.
     Well that was a nice waste of 2 hours. Printing on OS X. - (Another Scott) - (5)
         Its near exactly the same on... - (folkert)
         that's pretty bad. - (SpiceWare) - (3)
             We're still on Panther (10.4). Dunno if it's better on L/SL. -NT - (Another Scott) - (2)
                 10.3 is Panther. 10.4 is Tiger. Just sayin'. -NT - (pwhysall) - (1)
                     Whoops. Thanks. The 2xG5 is on 10.4.11, IIRC. -NT - (Another Scott)

When things get spooky... blame it on the Boogie!
83 ms