IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New No it didn't
It was initially developed to run on CPM and DOS for a few microcomputers of the time (the IBM-PC being the one that survived that era). There was a Unix version or two later, as well as a Mac Classic version, but it was the DOS version that was by far the most used and the other versions were eventually dropped.

I don't think it even required a DOS extender until release 9 or 10. Special video cards were also not required for a long time, though cards with special display list drivers were popular for increased performance.

It was after the first one or two Windows versions is when they started to go much more Windows specific in the design of the program. Up until then, the entire GUI was driven by scripting, macros and text based menu and dialog and even toolbar definition files. By about R13 or R14 they started hard coding more of the UI to be Windows specific, but I stopped using it not long after that so I don't know how far they went. I know they added support for stuff like VBA.
Expand Edited by altmann April 16, 2010, 06:47:15 PM EDT
New Oh yeah...
I'm thinking about the CADCAM stuff I used to use/support... the display was a vector display and a text monitor... geni-something...
     'Is Apple the new Microsoft?' - (Ashton) - (32)
         This is new? - (beepster)
         Re: 'Is Apple the new Microsoft?' - (lincoln) - (1)
             The problem is... - (folkert)
         See, here's the thing - (pwhysall) - (28)
             Concur.. - (Ashton)
             I'm usually on the fence - (crazy) - (26)
                 the iPad is an Appliance - (SpiceWare) - (25)
                     Not buying it - (crazy) - (23)
                         their target market doesn't even know what an MMU is. -NT - (SpiceWare) - (22)
                             Nor should they - (crazy) - (21)
                                 ah - multitasking - (SpiceWare) - (16)
                                     And perceived speed is more important than measured - (drook)
                                     2 issues for me - (crazy) - (14)
                                         Apple might be planning for underlying changes - (SpiceWare)
                                         Just wait until the ARM... - (folkert) - (11)
                                             Microsoft? - (static) - (10)
                                                 Clouds. - (Another Scott) - (9)
                                                     Wasn't AutoCad on custom hardware for a long time? - (drook) - (7)
                                                         AutoCAD used to be... - (folkert) - (2)
                                                             No it didn't - (altmann) - (1)
                                                                 Oh yeah... - (folkert)
                                                         Don't recall. - (Another Scott) - (3)
                                                             Whaddaya mean "looking at"? - (drook) - (2)
                                                                 Isn't that what I said? :-) - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                                     Roger, all clear -NT - (drook)
                                                     Pixlr - (Another Scott)
                                         Also, to address the OLD ARM... - (folkert)
                                 He says it well - (crazy) - (3)
                                     Too many developers are too pragmatic for him to be right - (drook) - (2)
                                         Good points - (crazy)
                                         very true - (SpiceWare)
                     Agree. - (malraux)

Somewhere out there, a Big Cheetah is still running WordStar and extremely anal benchmarks...
62 ms