Yes it was a delightful single threaded processor for embedded system. Worked wonderfully well with cooperative multi-tasking.

They moved it to a Multi-Threaded Multi-tasking and effectively broke it in half and threw out the good part.

They've come a long way and purchased some really good bits from certain companies... (purchased outright not licensed). And they have paired up with what seems to be the right people for building and chipset design for it.

I've been waiting for ARM to take over the embedded/smal device market and it is. I'm now waiting for the power to performance and cheapness to take over in the Data Center. As its the ripe time to pluck the x86 arch and step on it.

Once the National Laboratories start using them in workstations and clusters... I am sure they'll catch on. Laptops are just a natural for them now. Who cares about flash. (Yes I know its huge, but its also *HUGE and BLOATED* and a processor _HOG_)

Just wait a while longer, ARM with Multi-Core processors will make a huge dent in Intel's margin or dominance. AMD/ATI and nVidia seem to be playing along with ARM.