I thought his point was exceedingly clear, and wasn't that "whitey should quit complaining because everyone else 200 years ago was much more restricted." Most Americans period were much more restricted then than now.

In his first sentences, he's telling us that he's going to be countering the argument that we're on a relentless march to bondage:

For many libertarians, "the road to serfdom" is not just the title of a great book but also the window through which they see the world. We’re losing our freedom, year after year, they think.

Has there ever been a golden age of liberty? No, and there never will be. There will always be people who want to live their lives in peace, and there will always be people who want to exploit them or impose their own ideas on others. If we look at the long term—from a past that includes despotism, feudalism, absolutism, fascism, and communism—we’re clearly better off. When we look at our own country's history—contrasting 2010 with 1776 or 1910 or 1950 or whatever—the story is less clear. We suffer under a lot of regulations and restrictions that our ancestors didn’t face.

But in 1776 black Americans were held in chattel slavery, and married women had no legal existence except as agents of their husbands. In 1910 and even 1950, blacks still suffered under the legal bonds of Jim Crow—and we all faced confiscatory tax rates throughout the postwar period.

I am particularly struck by libertarians and conservatives who celebrate the freedom of early America, and deplore our decline from those halcyon days, without bothering to mention the existence of slavery.

[...]

And again I say, when he says "our American ancestors," he's thinking only of our white ancestors. Maybe only of our white male ancestors. Maybe even only of our white male property-owning ancestors. Many millions of Americans would read these paragraphs and say, "My ancestors didn't have the right to worship in their own way. My ancestors didn't have the right to keep and bear arms. My ancestors didn't have the protection of centuries-old legal procedures. My ancestors sure as heck didn't have the right to keep what they produced, or to pursue an occupation of their choice, or to enter into mutually beneficial trades. In fact, my ancestors didn't even have the minimal right of 'the absence of physical constraint.'"

Slavery and Jim Crow were a big deal. Lack of women's suffrage was a big deal. To not even mention it when harking back to the "good old days" is extremely sloppy at the very least. Gov. McDonald, (former half-term) Gov. Sarah Palin, Sen. Trent Lott, and everyone else who uses these "freedom" dog whistles should be called on it. It needs to be drummed into their heads so they don't automatically ignore the very real problems in our past.

Cheers,
Scott.