IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New /dev/sdb1 implies USB storage mode
libgphoto is necessary for PTP cameras as those do not create /dev entries. That is probably why the hints higher up didn't help out.

http://www.debian-ad....org/articles/127

The above is a tutorial on how to set udev and autofs up to automount USB storage devices. The last two comments (Jan and Mar 2010) read like they have the same issue you ran into. It looks like a change to autofs may be the cause (although the switch to v5 seems to have been underway for a couple of years). One got things going by adding an autofs line to /etc/nsswitch.conf

Is there anything in /var/log/debug related to autofs?
New Tried it, but no
I didn't have autofs installed, so I tried following the steps in that article. No joy. But since I didn't have autofs before the last kernel update and it was working, it seems I've got some other problem.

As for /var/log/debug it's showing:
Apr 10 14:40:52 drook-desktop kernel: [1518832.644828] usb-storage: device found at 19

Apr 10 14:40:52 drook-desktop kernel: [1518832.644832] usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
Apr 10 14:40:57 drook-desktop kernel: [1518837.645929] usb-storage: device scan complete
Apr 10 14:40:57 drook-desktop kernel: [1518837.666881] sd 10:0:0:0: [sdb] Mode Sense: 04 00 00 00

To me that looks like everything is detected properly. And a manual mount works just fine. Guess I'll wait to see if a future kernel update fixes it.
--

Drew
New One last far flung try...
http://michael-peete...blems-of-usb.html

He found ndiswrapper (compatibility layer for MS WiFi drivers) had been registered as the driver for USB mass storage devices. And also that ndiswrapper now seems to be part of the base Ubuntu installation...

Any way, if you get the /dev/sdb link, then the kernel is pretty much done with it. Everything beyond that is userspace, so I think the problem is on that side.
New Will take a look, but not hopeful
Like I said I can mount it manually and it works fine. It's just the automount that isn't happening. You're right that that's in userspace, but it was after my last reboot -- which only happens for kernel changes -- that it stopped working.
--

Drew
     Ubuntu stopped automounting camera - (drook) - (12)
         Kodak? If not, maybe this thread will help anyway. - (Another Scott) - (5)
             Thanks, but no, my problem's earlier - (drook) - (4)
                 Did you change the USB mode of your camera? - (folkert) - (3)
                     I didn't touch anything on the camera - (drook) - (2)
                         I still use Debian Sid. - (folkert) - (1)
                             Well that sucks -NT - (drook)
         Re: Ubuntu stopped automounting camera - (NMI) - (5)
             Found that, one problem - (drook) - (4)
                 /dev/sdb1 implies USB storage mode - (scoenye) - (3)
                     Tried it, but no - (drook) - (2)
                         One last far flung try... - (scoenye) - (1)
                             Will take a look, but not hopeful - (drook)

This looks like the output of a Markov bot that's been fed bus timetables from a city where the buses crash constantly.
87 ms