IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Well, this is a new one to me.
Win 2003 Server - dead motherboard or CPU. Replaced, new drivers, everything working just fine and Activated by Microsoft. Got updates over the Internet and all that. IP address
192.168.200.91 / 255.255.255.0 / 192.168.200.98

Took it to the clients site and plugged it into the network.
192.168.200.91 / 255.255.255.0 / 192.168.200.97

It couldn't ping beyond its own network card. Changed cable, plugged it into the other switch. No tcp/ip to the network, internal or Internet. Changed the ip address - no joy.

Tried a PCI network card I had with me. No joy.

Brought it back, plugged it into my network, changed the gate back from .97 to .98 - everything worked as advertised.

New Ooh, I know this one!
Computers suck.

You're welcome.
--

Drew
New Well, that was interesting.
I finally noticed that the gigabit ethernet interface on this fancy MSI motherboard had somehow been assigned a MAC address of 00-00-00-00-00-00.

Nothing seemed to care except the client's Linksys switches. My Linksys switches were cool with it.

So I assigned it a MAC address and all went well.
New Known problem.
Believe it or not.

Problems in Linux, BSDs and Windows.

the all zero's MAC address was probably already existing on the network.
New Well, I hadn't seen it before . . .
. . but I'll sure be watching for it in the future.

I don't think it was another zero-MAC that stopped us. We pulled all connections from one of the 16-port switches, power cycled it and plugged in only my notebook, the server in question, and the Internet router. Still wouldn't work, so I think that model Linksys simply refuses to handle zero-MACS.
New Some older Cisco, Linksys and...
off brand routers and switches don't handle a lot of odd but allowed things.

I ran into this on some managed D-Link gigabit switches. It was driving me nuts as the machine in question was the Business owners custom made machine.

I ended up having to disable the NIC on the motherboard and put in a new NIC. It would not take an assignment of a MAC address.

When I saw this thread... and read the first message, my first thought was all zero MAC addr. Its a bugger to troubleshoot. You almost have to sniff the connection, but anything you put in between the computer and the switch *fixes* or completely *masks* it, typically.
     Well, this is a new one to me. - (Andrew Grygus) - (5)
         Ooh, I know this one! - (drook)
         Well, that was interesting. - (Andrew Grygus) - (3)
             Known problem. - (folkert) - (2)
                 Well, I hadn't seen it before . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                     Some older Cisco, Linksys and... - (folkert)

Forgive my indignation if this massage comes to you as a surprise.
78 ms