IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Need my laptop back from the shop NOW!
Damn this is painful. I've got 3 DVDs with my TV appearances. I need to extract my segments, edit them together and add some captions and narration.

The desktop machine doesn't have a DVD player.

The backup machine has a DVD player/burner, but is woefully underpowered. Every time I try to rip files on it, it hangs.

My work laptop is a corporate XP lockdown model, so it won't even play a DVD, much less rip it.

So here's my kick-ass workflow:

1. Mount the backup box via SSH onto the desktop box.

2. Rip the VOB file directly to an MPG on the desktop. Now I've got a file, but can't edit it. Cinelerra, PiTivi, Kino, tried 'em all. None of them will play the file at real-time speed and keep the sound and video synced up.

3. So then I fire up WinSCP on the work laptop and copy the MPG file over. And it won't play at full speed. But I can ...

4. ... open the file in Movie Maker and export it as WMV. It takes about 40 minutes to convert a 6-minute clip, but after that it will play the WMV at full speed.

5. I can then import the WMV back into Movie Maker and do the editing and titles.

6. Then I can export as ... I don't know yet, MPG maybe?

7. Which I'll then have to copy back to the desktop box to ...

8. ... prepare the DVD image.

9. Then push the DVD image back onto the backup box, where I can finally ...

10. ... burn the DVD.

And all three boxes are within 2-3 G of full hard drives, so I'm having to delete intermediate files along the way.

Yes, I'm deleting what I can to make more room. Yes, I've tried every encoder combination to try to get a file that will play at full speed on both Linux and Windows boxes.
--

Drew
New Wait....
Corporate machine?

March 31st has come and gone.

Shouldn't this be in "OH HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY" Forum?

Isn't not buying machines for a long time just the shizzle? I mean, gosh, I've not bought anything real (except an iMac, a MBP, a T61 and a Dell Mini9 hackintosh, of course I mean).

But I *do* need a new desktop for next to me. I really do. So, I can feel your pain.

On piece of advice: Get backups... and how very soon!
New Yes, 31st has come and gone
And as soon as they tell me who to return stuff to, I will.
--

Drew
New MS MPEG4
It is about the only encoder that works across Windows, Mac and Linux without running into missing or proprietary decoders.

I do have some video fragments at work that came straight from a Canon Powershot and Cinelerra has not problems keeping video and sound in sync. I'll see what encodings those use.

Would it be worth it to temporarily swap the DVD burner to the desktop machine (assuming you dont' have one SATA and one IDE box)?
New Done for now
The burner is full height, the current desktop is a slimline, so no bay to fit it in.

As for the codecs, I've got a DVD burning question. I've got MPG and WMV files that both play flawlessly on my Linux box. But when I burn them to DVD there's a bit of jitter when the camera moves quickly. Anything I should look at to correct this?
--

Drew
New Data transfer too slow?
mplayer's console output may give a hint as to what it is doing at that point in time.
New Can I force slower writing?
The app does a test to see maximum write speed. If that test is returning bad results -- maybe I don't have as much RAM or swap as it thinks -- would forcing a slower write speed correct that issue? (Assuming that is the issue, of course.)
--

Drew
New Re: Can I force slower writing?
Not these days. This sort of thing used to be the case in the early days of CD-R, but now the drives are smarter and the write process much more robust.

It'll be a transcoding issue of some description.
     Need my laptop back from the shop NOW! - (drook) - (7)
         Wait.... - (folkert) - (1)
             Yes, 31st has come and gone - (drook)
         MS MPEG4 - (scoenye) - (4)
             Done for now - (drook) - (3)
                 Data transfer too slow? - (scoenye) - (2)
                     Can I force slower writing? - (drook) - (1)
                         Re: Can I force slower writing? - (pwhysall)