IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Seems to be an iPad/iPod OS issue.
Spotlight uses plugins to expand search functionality on OS X. The iPad/iPod OS doesn't support plugins (at least it didn't in December). http://www.avatron.c...646,8646#msg-8646 (and the rest of the thread).

At least that's my understanding of the situation at the moment.

Cheers,
Scott.
New that's probably not the real issue
if I open up a terminal session and create a new file vitestfile, as soon as I save it I can spotlight search it and it shows up in the Document group of Spotlight's results with vitestfile as the name of the document. If the search happens to turn up file ~/Library/Mail/.../52813.emlx then spotlight shows the results in the Messages group with the email's subject as the name of the document. I suspect the only thing the plugins do is allow spotlight to return a more meaningful description for the results - most people wouldn't know that 52813.emlx was an email message and thus whether or not it was what they were looking for.

What's probably up on the iPhone/iPad is that Spotlight's been changed to not search everything since the filesystem is locked down as far as the end user is concerned. Before the iPad there wasn't much content created on the iPhone, so Apple probably didn't have a way for the third party apps to tell the iPhone's Spotlight engine "index this directory, it contains the user's documents." I wouldn't be surprised in the least if the next iPhone OS update includes an API call to indicate searchable folders.
     Early iPad Reviews - (Bman) - (19)
         not surprised - (SpiceWare)
         Stephen Fry - (SpiceWare) - (1)
             Hmm. - (pwhysall)
         Another - a short one. - (Another Scott) - (5)
             Re: Another - a short one. - (SpiceWare) - (4)
                 Dunno. - (Another Scott) - (3)
                     works fine on the Mac - (SpiceWare) - (2)
                         Seems to be an iPad/iPod OS issue. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                             that's probably not the real issue - (SpiceWare)
         Gruber - (SpiceWare) - (1)
             Thanks. -NT - (Another Scott)
         Ars Technica review - (SpiceWare) - (7)
             useful for remote admin - (SpiceWare) - (6)
                 Standard - yeah, but - (crazy) - (5)
                     The next version of the iPhone OS has MT - (malraux) - (4)
                         I just saw that after I wrote that - (crazy) - (2)
                             It seems like the bad old days - (crazy) - (1)
                                 Apple seems to know how to extend the OS over time. - (Another Scott)
                         Re: The next version of the iPhone OS has MT - (Bman)

Hello, boys and girls!
177 ms