IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Miniaturization fetishists ... Untie!
http://www.youtube.c...=B82SJOJKPL4&NR=1

Ahh.. the perfect portable complement to my giant 5" Sony Trinitron.
Wallace & Gromit, get with it!

But for something completely Different:

Alan Morrison and Grimethorpe play Elgar Howarth's arrangement of the Harry James Trumpet Concerto. Granada Band of the Year 1985

http://www.youtube.c...0&feature=related

Shades of the nonpareil Brit Colliery Bands du jour and every jour.
Wow.. all sorts of stuff under 'trumpet' (never mind strumpet)
Though Mr. Morrison is on a cornet here.

Now ... combine the 1" Tee Vee with this flic -- in your very own A Dolls House.

Ed: AND just fuckingWOW!!
http://www.youtube.c...bYnSU&feature=fvw

Wynton plays the Haydn Trumpet Concerto with his utterly-goose-bumping cadenza; the original octave jumps were hard enough, but ... (1st movement; others are on the Tube too)
Had record of course, but never saw a flic of that boggling performance.

OK enough brass shilling..
Expand Edited by Ashton April 2, 2010, 04:46:27 PM EDT
New My brother had a tiny Sony.
I think it was one of these FD-10A Watchman boxes - http://www.antiquera...manTelevision.htm

It's a funky thing. You look through the side of the tube, and the electron beam hits the front of the phosphor screen. The screen is curved.

It was a neat little box.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Believe there's one in the garage
culled from some flea market. Needed some repair to a jack, as I recall.

Works (well, worked.. haven't looked lately)
Yeah the crook-neck squash tube is a fine HS intro to bending electron beam.
Yours if you want it (better than nostalgia, I say! It's B&W; doubt you could register color pixels in that manner, sans a lot of fine-tweak circuitry and a very stable PS.)

Somewhere too is a 1.5" Panasonic; a marvel of CRT/electronic miniaturization at the time.
Used to use it with a a wireless video xmitter.. (from in-house set) to tune my string-operated antenna 'rotator'. Because I could.

Now we expect the barely-conceivable ... as routine. I believe the word is jaded.
(I wonder if any of the various stages of 'TV-glasses' have yet reached the pinnacle: the full-illusion that you are watching a 60" wall-set, with full resolution. One would have to audition such, live -- the previous ads all lied.)

New :-) No thanks. No analog broadcasts any more.
I was thinking the same thing about the marvels of that technology. Those Sony engineers were very clever. People probably aren't going to be generating electron beams in handheld display devices ever again...

Cheers,
Scott.
New Colour was impossible.
I recall some articles many many years ago in some decent electronics magazines. Bending the end of the CRT was an interesting solution, and had the advantage that the image emitted from the same side the electrons struck, producing a much brighter picture (and they could add a heatsink to the back). But it made the physics of electron beam deflection very complicated. They decided that it was not possible to do three-beam colour that way. I wonder if anyone tried it with Sony's Trinitron technology.

Like a lot of mass-produced technology developed and consumerised in the middle of last century, cathode ray tubes are a bit "how they heck did they get that to work?!", really.

Wade.

Q:Is it proper to eat cheeseburgers with your fingers?
A:No, the fingers should be eaten separately.
     WANT! - (drook) - (9)
         In about 10 years -NT - (Bman) - (2)
             Guess I'll start saving, should take about that long -NT - (drook)
             Nah, I give that design 3 years - (crazy)
         Miniaturization fetishists ... Untie! - (Ashton) - (4)
             My brother had a tiny Sony. - (Another Scott) - (3)
                 Believe there's one in the garage - (Ashton) - (2)
                     :-) No thanks. No analog broadcasts any more. - (Another Scott)
                     Colour was impossible. - (static)
         Re: WANT! - (rcareaga)

Wow, now I'm going to get a sparkly jacket and call myself a witch...
80 ms