IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Solaris style...
find /export/home/imail/msgfiles/ -atime +21 -type f -name "?.b" -ls | awk '{print $2}' | paste -sd+ - | bc

Column 2 in the ls output is the size in kB. Column 7 gives it in bytes. (No Solaris to test with, but I did use the Solaris man page this time.)
New thanx
banging the find thru crazies script is working but definitely bookmarked
If we torture the data long enough, it will confess. (Ronald Coase, Nobel Prize for Economic Sciences, 1991)
New Happy to help
And note the difficulty you have in the Solaris VS GNU utils? As I pointed out above, been there, been burned by that.

Yes, real admins and programmers are supposed to keep track of the many variations of arguments in the many implementations of the utils, both BSD vs AT&T, and then the individual computer manufacturer variations as well. Not me, and not anyone I've ever met. Who is this mythical person that can read and write shell scripts across the Unix variations? Sure, we each have the common ones, such as "ps -ef vs ps aux", but move into the line spoolers, and you're screwed unless you spend your time with nothing else.

Also, unix utils have internal limitations that I often hit. They are not meant to deal with my data (yes, pure text, but often too damn big), and puke (hopefully), or sometimes die silently, having written a short file (sort comes to mind, and in this case, yes, I knew to set the work space area.) I pulled the source for a bunch of the utils, and did an occasional hack years ago to make them work, but I hate working on other people's C code, escpecially filled with unrolled loops (lots of gotos).

And when I'm scripting a pipeline, checking the error return of the individual programs is a pain in the ass.

So, I'll lean to a Perl script that leaves lots of stats information in a log. I even have them email me on failure.

aarrgg, brain dead - (boxley) - (33)
         {print $5+1}? Or did I totally misread the question? -NT - (scoenye) - (32)
             trying to get a running total, not increment - (boxley) - (31)
                 Here, feed this filenames. - (crazy) - (8)
                     I dont quite get this - (boxley) - (7)
                         -s - (crazy) - (6)
                             Ah, got it. thanx! -NT - (boxley) - (5)
                                 That was all an inside joke, right? - (drook) - (4)
                                     no works as advertized -NT - (boxley) - (2)
                                         Sigh - (crazy) - (1)
                                             sorry, no, works as advertized. My bad forgot comma -NT - (boxley)
                                     Don't show it to Ben. - (crazy)
                 Or like this... (using find) - (scoenye) - (21)
                     Yup, find is magic - (crazy) - (10)
                         s/magic/magic mushrooms/ - (pwhysall)
                         My feelings exactly aboout Perl ;-) - (scoenye) - (8)
                             I've tried to learn Perl several times. - (static) - (7)
                                 Learning Perl is like learning a core language facility - (crazy) - (6)
                                     What's the point? - (malraux) - (5)
                                         Ah, welcome to the expanding fray - (crazy) - (4)
                                             I hopped from Perl to Python... - (pwhysall) - (2)
                                                 Yeah, but - (crazy) - (1)
                                                     No, it's fine. I don't consider myself a programmer. - (pwhysall)
                                             Quite. - (static)
                     I like - (boxley) - (1)
                         The - means "standard input" - (scoenye)
                     oh well doesnt work in solaris - (boxley) - (7)
                         apt-get install ubuntu FTW! -NT - (drook) - (3)
                             sorry, we have standards, snicker -NT - (boxley) - (2)
                                 GNU find from blastwave? -NT - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                     That's how I'd go - (jake123)
                         Solaris style... - (scoenye) - (2)
                             thanx - (boxley) - (1)
                                 Happy to help - (crazy)

I never trusted P.E. teachers, I'll tell you that.
90 ms