IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Both relatively recent ailments
Cancer and congestive heart failure are both relatively recent, as humans go, and strongly correlated with the Western diet. I wonder what we'd die of if we ate better and still had high-tech medical care.
--

Drew
New Food for thought
I'm going to think about your post. While I'm thinking I'll be eating a heavily-marbled ribeye steak off the backyard BBQ, thereby covering both bases.

dangerously,

If God hadn't intended us to eat animals He wouldn't have made them out of meat.
New If god hadn't intended us
to eat babies, he wouldn't have made them out of meat.
New :-)
New Re: Both relatively recent ailments
Cancer and congestive heart failure are both relatively recent, as humans go, and strongly correlated with the Western diet. I wonder what we'd die of if we ate better and still had high-tech medical care.

I read an article once that considered the same question, I think it was something written by Carl Sagan years ago. He ran the numbers from actuarial tables and came to the conclusion that if we could eliminate aging in general and the other major medical reasons for death, we would die from accident with an average life span between 900 and 1000 years.

Of course, that is a lot of other medical problems to take care of first, and living that long would surely create some new ones. And the article pointed out the 900 year figure is contingent upon not just technology but society staying the same, which it surely wouldn't over a period that long.

More to the point, eating better wouldn't solve heart and circulation related problems, just delay the onset of them. A significant part of the reason why cancer and circulation problems have risen to the top of the list is that humans now live long enough to die from them. We need a way to repair damage to return functionality something close to original operational levels.

Jay
New Re: "live long enough to die from them"
I wondered about that for quite a while. That and the fact that for a long time when someone over 70 died, cause of death was, "They were over 70, duh!" Now we have to know the cause for everything.

But that might not be the case.

Diet probably accounts for 20-50 percent of cancer deaths:
http://www.straightd...eporting-of-cases

Sure, that range is pretty wide. But even the low end shows that our diet leads to a huge number of deaths.

Latest theory on how diet (and other factors) causes cancer:
http://www.thetech.o...cs/ask.php?id=136
--

Drew
     End of cancer (again?) - (crazy) - (12)
         That looks very promising. -NT - (beepster)
         Extraordinary times for molecular biology - (rcareaga) - (6)
             Both relatively recent ailments - (drook) - (5)
                 Food for thought - (rcareaga) - (2)
                     If god hadn't intended us - (jake123) - (1)
                         :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
                 Re: Both relatively recent ailments - (jay) - (1)
                     Re: "live long enough to die from them" - (drook)
         'I'm worried that no one will die in the future.' - (Ashton) - (3)
             Have you read 'Prey'? - (drook) - (2)
                 Yup - (crazy) - (1)
                     A few scenes obviously made for the eventual movie - (drook)

Conical spray... with sesame seeds!
48 ms