IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Had a system design session today
When we were done, we had about a dozen new servers that needed to be setup for the project. Mostly Linux, but a few Windows as well. Web server, app server, log/database server, devel, demo,production.

3 years ago the project would have been canceled due to lack of funding for the hardware. It would easily have run around $50,000, and taken several weeks of Linux and Windows admins to go through the setup and tweaking. Possibly far more $$ and far more time, since it never goes well when you are installing a bunch of servers on a deadline. And then we'd have to deal with things failing.

Now, the Linux/VMWare administrator smiles, nodds, and says "When do you want them?"

That is why (hey, you asked) they want in as a VM. Toss it in, ignore the hardware, copy it around as needed, move while live.

I love VMWare.
New And ... correct me if I'm wrong ...
You can set everything up on mediocre hardware while developing, then deploy to beefier gear and everything just gets faster. True?
--

Drew
New Yup
No purchase until 1st paying customer, then ramp up.
New Exactly.
Even first few customers can be on the dev hardware... as long as you transfer stuff.

XEN Server is similar. Not quite as robust, but much cheaper.

We are looking as clustering on VMs as we can add real hardware on the fly and create more stuff while cycling out old hardware from the pool.

Front ending services using clusters and load balancers, amazing how much is available now a day.
     What a freak'n mess! - (Andrew Grygus) - (10)
         :-( -NT - (Another Scott)
         I could just scream . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (4)
             In my experience..... - (mvitale) - (3)
                 /dev/cdrom is usually a symlink. - (static)
                 VMWare... - (folkert) - (1)
                     Ah-ha! - (mvitale)
         Had a system design session today - (crazy) - (3)
             And ... correct me if I'm wrong ... - (drook) - (2)
                 Yup - (crazy)
                 Exactly. - (folkert)

Welcome to those that can stand it.
44 ms