IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New NPR now: Texas' influence on expurgated textbooks
Nationwide.

(Explains Shrub?)

Their tentacles are everywhere, for a variety of reasons. Chicago version on now.

We're DOOMED; the child brain-rot follows from a child's inference that everything in these texts is TRUE (like that.. Murica was founded on/by/for Xians, for just one.)

Lovely to hear how some teachers instruct in pointing out examples of 'opinion' / demonstrating why it-all is not even truthiness, let alone Revealed Truth. Still, overall: we're DOOMED.
New My kids' textbooks *SUCK*
I obviously don't know what I would think of the textbooks I used at their age, were I to see them again as an adult. But I can say without a doubt that these are crap.

In one history book, there was a practice question asking what is the reason for ... something. Can't remember what. And in the paragraph where that was discussed, it actually said that different historians disagree with the reason for it. But the question -- and the teacher's answer guide -- would admit only one "right" answer.

That's just the clearly-wrong thing I remember. The rest of it is such a disconnected spew of random facts that even I can't make any sense of it. And I consider myself pretty good at getting information from the printed word.

All these books teach them is how to memorize random facts and regurgitate them on command, or how to look up facts in a book ... with the page the answer is on listed in the question ... and the name they're looking up already highlighted in the text.
--

Drew
New Yes, quite hard to recreate one's Own ken of the process
And we only get One set of those (experiences.) No wonder there is so much palaver about trying to create a rilly Keen methodology. Even that is a chimera; as theTexas Syndrome makes apparent: there is Always a layer of propaganda - which the 'adults' fight over -- behind every single 'text'book.

As I (try-to) recall ~~ the timnes of learning words, language, Reading! [HEY!! I Can READ..!] I'm not aware of an example (I can now see) of overt-propaganda of a political slant. Mainly, in retrospect, I though that most of the 'stories' read by teacher were See Jane Run too-simple. But (for being in a private 'military' academy, thus iggerant of public school versions) I recall vividy a few 'helpers' which I was able to USE and recall being aware of that 'fact':

1) There was a large (easel stand) list of words; pages of this display began IIRC at 5-letter-common words; as the teacher would periodically flip to the next page, the words grew longer. I don't recall how often the pages were turned; maybe not even daily. But I devoured the pages, time-sharing with the planned stuff; an excellent way of tuning-out the silly stuff: grok some of those words to Fullness

2) Later on (even I noticed) -- that while the Dick & Jane fodder was being read (or read-to), as I would skip forward and read real *Stories, and likely was noticed doing-so: this wise teacher never 'corrected' my inattention to the pabulum. Still.. neither did she give/lend me anything better than the Reader. I give her a wash on the wisdom-scale.

* memorable one by Jack London, To Build a Fire -- man on sled gets wet; has (a few) matches. TIME-to-freeze is of the essence.. Cliffhanger as fumbles and lack of burnabvle stuff rear ugly heads. Gotta **reread that one.)

3) Classes were tiny by any recent decades' standards; 9-12? (We Don't Notice! much detail each day -- even then..) {sigh} The rote instilling of multiplication tables was probably the only effective means -- But I recall no over-reliance on rote re. the rest of the material.

** Ahh.. it's right here:
http://www.jacklondo...t/buildafire.html

(And, for cosmic humor: Jack London's place is just down the road. A friend was married to one of the descendants. Etc.)

No, I don't know the ~~Perfect scheme either, but I have lots of vicarious experience of the increasing Imperfection, despite legions of experts (they perpetually confounded by Legions of My Gramma.) The troglodytes are now enabled and emboldened beyond Gramma's wildest dreams of purgatory ... for all Not-Like-Her (chosen oracles.)

Techno + the How-To mastery of Paul Joseph Göbbels' seminal techniques have provided them the megaphones AND content-schema to inculcate their duelling-dogmas and their basically nasty, misanthropic Puritannical virii -- more repetitively and insidiously than ever before.

Did I mention, we're DOOMED?
New Re: NPR now: Texas' influence on expurgated textbooks

Arguing that American textbooks have been hijacked by a liberal agenda, board members are trying to restore a conservative bent to the material taught in grades K-8. The current "standards are rife with leftist political periods and events: the Populists, the Progressives, the New Deal and the Great Society," board member Don McLeroy said in a statement. "Including material about the conservative resurgence of the 1980s and 1990s provides some political balance to the document."

In the proposed changes, Susan B. Anthony would be wiped from the history books, along with Florence Nightingale and Shirley Chisholm (the first black woman elected to Congress). In their place would be Abigail Adams and Phyllis Schlafly, a conservative politician who opposed feminism and the Equal Rights Amendment.

When students learn about the McCarthy hearings, they might now learn that Joseph McCarthy was eventually vindicated as details about spying emerged. A popular children's-book author, Bill Martin Jr., has been stricken from the curriculum because he shares the same name as a professor who wrote favorably about Karl Marx.

Even W.E.B. Du Bois, founder of the NAACP, may not make the cut. For the moment, the famous civil-rights activist's writings have been included in the reading curriculum -- but his ties to the Communist party and the fact that he ultimately moved to Ghana and denounced capitalism might undo him.

source: http://www.momlogic....php#ixzz0hq0OlZLu

AUSTIN – Republicans on the State Board of Education soundly rejected a Democratic-backed proposal Thursday that would have required Texas students to be taught the reasons behind the prohibition of a state religion in the Bill of Rights.

[...]

Knight said all she was trying to do in her proposal was to let students study the First Amendment language that states: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof."

A succession of court rulings have relied on that language to uphold the separation of church and state in a section of the Bill of Rights referred to as the "Establishment Clause."

But many religious conservatives – including a board-appointed curriculum expert – contend that separation of church and state was established in the law only by activist judges and not the Constitution or Bill of Rights.

source: http://www.dallasnew...ion2.4bcac76.html

Worried that high school sociology students would be thrust into the world of “transvestites, transsexuals and who knows what else,” the State Board of Education struck a reference to “sex and gender as social constructs” in the social studies curriculum standards.

Board Member Barbara Cargill, R-The Woodlands, said a discussion of the difference between sex and gender would be “very, very inappropriate” in a high school course.

But Mavis Knight, D-Dallas, said it was naive to think that high school students would not know that some of the classmates are gay, bisexual or transgendered.

“It is no secret to them so you might as well bring it out into the open and discuss it,” Knight said.

The motion to eliminate the reference passed on a vote of 9 to 6.

source: http://www.statesman...ing_of_gende.html

Home-school textbook market dominated by books skeptical of evolution.

According to the Associated Press, home-schooling parents seeking textbooks that include evolution are finding the dominance of Christian-based materials to be isolating and frustrating. The publishers that largely control the home-school textbook market, which include Bob Jones University Press and Apologia Educational Ministries Inc., often include overt affirmations of Christianity and “stack the deck against evolution“:

"Those who do not believe that the Bible is the inspired, inerrant Word of God will find many points in this book puzzling," says the introduction to "Biology: Third Edition" from Bob Jones University Press. "This book was not written for them.” The textbook delivers a religious ultimatum to young readers and parents, warning in its "History of Life" chapter that a "Christian worldview … is the only correct view of reality; anyone who rejects it will not only fail to reach heaven but also fail to see the world as it truly is."

source: http://thinkprogress...school-textbooks/

"Chicago to my mind was the only place to be. ... I above all liked the city because it was filled with people all a-bustle, and the clatter of hooves and carriages, and with delivery wagons and drays and peddlers and the boom and clank of freight trains. And when those black clouds came sailing in from the west, pouring thunderstorms upon us so that you couldn't hear the cries or curses of humankind, I liked that best of all. Chicago could stand up to the worst God had to offer. I understood why it was built--a place for trade, of course, with railroads and ships and so on, but mostly to give all of us a magnitude of defiance that is not provided by one house on the plains. And the plains is where those storms come from."

-- E.L. Doctorow
New Free Texas Now!
I have a fever-dream of sorts:

A civil war re-enactment. Big one, key battle.
The Union general is new to the scene, but has the soldier walk down cold, and addresses his troops with solid authority. Many of those troops are new. More are wearing wigs over short hair than usual. The new troops have impressive discipline and snap in formation - almost like professionals.

The battle begins.

Despite their impressive discipline, the new Union soldiers break script badly.

Chaos ensues, beyond the simulated chaos.

A white flag emerges from the smoke. The Union general follows it to the Confederate general's command post.

"Congratulations, Sir - at long last, this time you have carried the day. I surrender. My compliments to your fine troops."

"Excuse me?"

"My credentials. I apologize for the non-period documents, but these are the current form. I assure you they are genuine."

"Um?"

"I am a duly commissioned commander. It is within my authority to surrender. The Confederacy is now free. Please accept our apologies for illegally occupying your territory. We will, of course, withdraw from those territories immediately. Please withdraw your now-foreign troops to your own country, or I will be forced to call for reinforcements. There are tanks on the other side of that hill. They won't have to cross the hill to engage your troops, as the satellite targeting is quite effective."
---------------------------------------
Why, yes, I did give up something for lent. I gave up making sense.
New :-)
New Great Minds..
I had that dream too.. right after a little scene in that Eden cartoon ~~

[Big Guy w/beard]
Eateth not The Apple (nor useth the iMac to Google wtf I Am)

[Nekkid Guy w/ figleaf]
Look, I'm wearing your prissy cover-up (Eve thinks the fig looks like her uterus.. go figure) No big deal, that.
(But this Apple 'Tree of Knowledge' thing, ya say: you mean you want us pregnant, permanently dumb and adoring too?)
If you're such a control-freak about just Everything ... wtf didn't you just build yourself a robot, eh?
{sheesh, Old Guy!}
     NPR now: Texas' influence on expurgated textbooks - (Ashton) - (6)
         My kids' textbooks *SUCK* - (drook) - (1)
             Yes, quite hard to recreate one's Own ken of the process - (Ashton)
         Re: NPR now: Texas' influence on expurgated textbooks - (lincoln)
         Free Texas Now! - (mhuber) - (2)
             :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
             Great Minds.. - (Ashton)

Sex. Always sex.
66 ms