IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I could just scream . . .
All efforts had ended in failure. I had a call put in to the ultimate client to see who I should call at VMWare to try to get their help in resolving this mess - but no answer came back today.

"Well", I thought, "I understand you can actually uninstall udev and go back to the old fashioned /dev with a zillion drivers listed in it". So I decided to do that.

I set up to do the exact same routine I'd done the first few times, except after recompiling the 2.6.28.7 kernel I'd uninstall udev and see if I had a cdrom on reboot.

I did a fresh clean install of 5.0.4 with the defective 2.6.26 kernel. Then I set up my kernel stuff, did the menuconfig, compiled and installed the 2.6.28.7 kernel just like I'd done before.

Then I rebooted. First thing I did was "ls /dev/hd*" to confirm the CDROM wasn't there . . . . ls returned "hda"

AAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaggggh!!

Why was it there now and it wasn't there the last 10 times I did the exact same thing?

I hate when this happens - because there's no (practical) way to know why. Can it even be done again?

My client said, "I don't give a shit - it's working - finish it up and ship it to me!"

New In my experience.....
/dev/hda is the hard drive. You know, where / and /home are.
/dev/cdrom or /cdrom are more typical of CD-type devices...Sometimes /dev/sd0, maybe?
-Mike

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin, 1759 Historical Review of Pennsylvania
New /dev/cdrom is usually a symlink.
It depends on what the block layer is presenting as as to what it needs to point to.

Wade.

Q:Is it proper to eat cheeseburgers with your fingers?
A:No, the fingers should be eaten separately.
New VMWare...
/dev/sda(1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8) == near all hard drives, being SCSI and easier to emulate.

/dev/hda == the "ide" cdrom.
New Ah-ha!
I can haz little experience with vmware, and none of it recent. I'll sit corrected then.
-Mike

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin, 1759 Historical Review of Pennsylvania
     What a freak'n mess! - (Andrew Grygus) - (10)
         :-( -NT - (Another Scott)
         I could just scream . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (4)
             In my experience..... - (mvitale) - (3)
                 /dev/cdrom is usually a symlink. - (static)
                 VMWare... - (folkert) - (1)
                     Ah-ha! - (mvitale)
         Had a system design session today - (crazy) - (3)
             And ... correct me if I'm wrong ... - (drook) - (2)
                 Yup - (crazy)
                 Exactly. - (folkert)

Beware of things that go blimp in the night...
95 ms