IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New What a freak'n mess!
One of my client's clients is installing a major upgrade to their accounting system. For some reason I fail to understand, they insist on running it in a VM under VMWare.

So I have this huge HP rack mount server that sounds like a jet engine when it starts up, and like an air conditioner when it's running. It came to me with a VM set up for Linux.

Now Debian Lenny, the Linux we want to use, installs and runs just fine in the VM.

Just fine. Just fine. Just fine.

There's only one tiny problem. We need to use a Digi port server on the network, with Digi RealPort drivers on the server. The tiny problem is that Lenny uses the 2.6.26 kernel - the ONLY kernel revision Digi won't and can't support. RealPort won't compile or run under 2.6.26 because it has a defective tty layer.

So I've always simply compiled the 2.6.28.7 kernel and installed away. So I did that in the VM. Worked slick, Digi compiled, installed and worked. Cool.

Except no CDROM drive - udev saw no drive even with the CDROM dedicated to the VM at power-on, so it set up no /dev/hda driver.

It turns out the CDROM drive only works with the installed instance. Even compiling the exact same kernel with the exact same .config - you will not get the CDROM.

Hours of Internet research came up with no answer. Everybody just presumes all you have to do is attach the CDROM at power-on.

So I tried installing stuff from the CD booted on the 2.6.26 kernel intending to reboot under 2.6.28 after installing. Didn't work. Stuff saw the .28 kernel and saw that the booted OS wasn't .28 and bombed out.

Next I downloaded a custom net install iso that installed the 2.6.28.7 kernel. CD worked fine and RealPort compiled fine but wouldn't install - apparently it didn't like the 64-bit kernel somehow, and 64-bit was all that install offered.

I've downloaded a 2.6.30 custom install CD that says it has i386, but if that doesn't work, I'm going to have to tell the client it's up to VMWare to come up with a solution - I' burned out on this.

PS. The VM Client edit module lies about how much disk space is available, and if you expand a virtual disk a little too far - it's pretty much delete the virtual disk, make a new one and start over.

Also, when doing an install you have to delete all existing partitions and start from blank or the partitioning gets all confused and the install blows up with copious red screens.

Also, Debian (any kernel) sees the USB root and hub but can't detect anything you plug into a USB port. Fortunately that isn't really needed on this machine.
Expand Edited by Andrew Grygus March 15, 2010, 02:10:44 AM EDT
New :-(
New I could just scream . . .
All efforts had ended in failure. I had a call put in to the ultimate client to see who I should call at VMWare to try to get their help in resolving this mess - but no answer came back today.

"Well", I thought, "I understand you can actually uninstall udev and go back to the old fashioned /dev with a zillion drivers listed in it". So I decided to do that.

I set up to do the exact same routine I'd done the first few times, except after recompiling the 2.6.28.7 kernel I'd uninstall udev and see if I had a cdrom on reboot.

I did a fresh clean install of 5.0.4 with the defective 2.6.26 kernel. Then I set up my kernel stuff, did the menuconfig, compiled and installed the 2.6.28.7 kernel just like I'd done before.

Then I rebooted. First thing I did was "ls /dev/hd*" to confirm the CDROM wasn't there . . . . ls returned "hda"

AAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaggggh!!

Why was it there now and it wasn't there the last 10 times I did the exact same thing?

I hate when this happens - because there's no (practical) way to know why. Can it even be done again?

My client said, "I don't give a shit - it's working - finish it up and ship it to me!"

New In my experience.....
/dev/hda is the hard drive. You know, where / and /home are.
/dev/cdrom or /cdrom are more typical of CD-type devices...Sometimes /dev/sd0, maybe?
-Mike

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin, 1759 Historical Review of Pennsylvania
New /dev/cdrom is usually a symlink.
It depends on what the block layer is presenting as as to what it needs to point to.

Wade.

Q:Is it proper to eat cheeseburgers with your fingers?
A:No, the fingers should be eaten separately.
New VMWare...
/dev/sda(1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8) == near all hard drives, being SCSI and easier to emulate.

/dev/hda == the "ide" cdrom.
New Ah-ha!
I can haz little experience with vmware, and none of it recent. I'll sit corrected then.
-Mike

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin, 1759 Historical Review of Pennsylvania
New Had a system design session today
When we were done, we had about a dozen new servers that needed to be setup for the project. Mostly Linux, but a few Windows as well. Web server, app server, log/database server, devel, demo,production.

3 years ago the project would have been canceled due to lack of funding for the hardware. It would easily have run around $50,000, and taken several weeks of Linux and Windows admins to go through the setup and tweaking. Possibly far more $$ and far more time, since it never goes well when you are installing a bunch of servers on a deadline. And then we'd have to deal with things failing.

Now, the Linux/VMWare administrator smiles, nodds, and says "When do you want them?"

That is why (hey, you asked) they want in as a VM. Toss it in, ignore the hardware, copy it around as needed, move while live.

I love VMWare.
New And ... correct me if I'm wrong ...
You can set everything up on mediocre hardware while developing, then deploy to beefier gear and everything just gets faster. True?
--

Drew
New Yup
No purchase until 1st paying customer, then ramp up.
New Exactly.
Even first few customers can be on the dev hardware... as long as you transfer stuff.

XEN Server is similar. Not quite as robust, but much cheaper.

We are looking as clustering on VMs as we can add real hardware on the fly and create more stuff while cycling out old hardware from the pool.

Front ending services using clusters and load balancers, amazing how much is available now a day.
     What a freak'n mess! - (Andrew Grygus) - (10)
         :-( -NT - (Another Scott)
         I could just scream . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (4)
             In my experience..... - (mvitale) - (3)
                 /dev/cdrom is usually a symlink. - (static)
                 VMWare... - (folkert) - (1)
                     Ah-ha! - (mvitale)
         Had a system design session today - (crazy) - (3)
             And ... correct me if I'm wrong ... - (drook) - (2)
                 Yup - (crazy)
                 Exactly. - (folkert)

The biggest giveaway is they always have slightly too specific of an answer to literally every question.
111 ms