IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I just sat and thought.
Does anyone have any idea how long its been since I personally spec'd, acquired and built a computer from components, either for myself or the company I work for or friends?

Barring the mini9 which wasn't really close at all, which I only replaced the memory and loaded an OS on it.

Come on... anyone?

The answer is surprising and surprised me.

Now, I've rebuilt using existing components, added to existing machines, fixed broken machines. But full on new everything with no component reuse it is:

2004. I built 4 machines for the place I worked. 4 for $350 each, $483 each including WindowsXP Professional.

Wow. Just wow.
New Well, that depends.
Does driving from GRR to Chicagoland to assist in assembling a 1U server that you did indeed spec parts on Newegg.com count? :D

Or are you saying that I'm not in the "friends" list?
-Mike

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin, 1759 Historical Review of Pennsylvania
New Re: Well, that depends.
Oh yeah... true dat.

Plus I've help build other machines... that way. I guess I don't count those SOLE buildership... much as multi-buildership.

But yeah its still be 2 years since then.
New well since I am Mac only at this point
and dont have a need for a linux box at home I havnt built one in a long time either. If I want a linux box I would build from scratch so I get the stuff I want in it
If we torture the data long enough, it will confess. (Ronald Coase, Nobel Prize for Economic Sciences, 1991)
New Last box I built from parts was 2002.
And I don't even miss it.
New Things move so fast in the PC industry.
I last built a new PC about 3 or 4 years ago. At the time, affordable levels were a single-core AMD with not quite enough grunt to fully decode a HD DVB-T signal (Athlon 3200) - it used to peak at 98% decoding ABC-HD. And the video card was helping. Within a year, prices on a dual-core that is more than fast enough (Athon 4200) were below what I paid. This was for my MythTV box. I've idly seen some new CPU prices and the hardware level has jumped again.

Wade.

Q:Is it proper to eat cheeseburgers with your fingers?
A:No, the fingers should be eaten separately.
     I just sat and thought. - (folkert) - (5)
         Well, that depends. - (mvitale) - (1)
             Re: Well, that depends. - (folkert)
         well since I am Mac only at this point - (boxley)
         Last box I built from parts was 2002. - (pwhysall)
         Things move so fast in the PC industry. - (static)

It would have been much more tolerable if they used wires and an action figure.
39 ms