IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New On dirt
Been reading Nina Planck's "Real Food for Mother and Baby". Some pediatricians (it seems to be based on when they went to school) are convinced that children don't get enough iron and regularly prescribe supplements. Problem is, inorganic iron is not absorbed well, and in fact interferes with uptake of organic iron -- specifically, that found in breast milk.

Some of the more old-school docs, and those learning from them, are convinced that people used to absorb a significant amount of iron (and other important minerals) directly from the dirt they walked barefoot in, and slept naked on, and from the "dirty" food they ate.

I wouldn't recommend skipping barefoot through the marsh grass at Love Canal, but our obsession with cleanliness seems to be causing yet more unintended consequences.
--

Drew
New Dirt, it's not just about gossip anymore
Once one sees the correlation between decades of The Food Pyramid (or previous absurd icons) -- ALL promulgated by Archer Daniels Midland et al / the usual greedopoly suspects -- one realizes that, across the decades: it has been not merely 98% corporate propaganda-for-profit -- but also Harmful, in all measurable ways. Then one must assiduously address the Noise/Signal ratio of less-biased but oft marginally informed Not-a-Nutritionist pop-alternatives. And fold that into preferences, realizing that nobody with a reasonably healthy psyche is going to become a food-Nazi even 80% (or thereabouts.) To miss all the variety with which our omnivorous selves are able to cope ... is pure Puritanism, and that alone makes it a toxic mistake because of what that mindset does to a psyche. Have we nothing-in-between? Why yes, we do.

Pure INSANITY, right now is: the %total-intake of pre-teens and onwards -- just described by soda pop, candy and salty cheese-like frankenfoods. It seems that some kids get 2/3 or more of total daily food intake from this garbage. Which might ~explain the rise of My Gramma-like Repos and the confounding of all efforts towards a common language.
You Are (to a first approximation) What {ugh} You Eat, etc.

We should each be asking selves: can such a regimen, begun from shortly after toddlerhood --> voting age even/ever be reversed in the victims?
Might we have to quarantine jillions on the huge island (I posit) next to Lord of the Flies -??- once the SQT (sanity quotient test) becomes International Law, at about a density of 10G of homo-saps/planet.
(And ours is seen to have begun multiplying exponentially, not just geometrically.) But I digress.

Ooops.. a corp-hijacked stomach [i] sez
Time for a deep-fried Snickers™: but it MUST next be rolled in powdered corn syrup derivatives, served á lá mode with 40% butter-fat ice cream, surmounted with Twinkie-bits, toasted:
these lovingly macerated in a (heavy-duty) blender. And a deadly Maraschino cherry atop the whipped cream-like substance.

Urp

(I spent ~ age 4-7 at grandmother's [not That one] 'ranch' in San Mateo. There I was forced to eat fresh veggies, nutritious meals made from scratch, chickens on-site for eggs and meat, etc.) Particularly weird 'salad greens' were ingested via the carrot, not the stick: fresh blackberry pudding for dessert! Never a Coca Cola there; occasionally a decent grade Sees candy. Etc. Later, in school, of course I made some New Rulez but fortunately kicked the Coke habit to merely 'occasional' after ODing daily for a couple months in a Freedom frenzy. It was also there (even at age 7 IIRC) that I first heard, You are what you eat! -- the intro/closing line on a radio program oft audited by gramma. Occasionally a flicker of mem-cells recall the speaker's name too {sigh}

To this foundation period (?) I attribute the fact that I am rarely 'sick', and via eschewing Mauls and the like, generally: I may have a 'cold' ~ 3 year intervals and a 'flu'-like upset maybe at 5-yr. intervals.
Genes? (Maybe.. Mater and blood relatives I don't recall being sickly either.)
But the early/formative food habits and tastes that form "what you are likely to Want to try later" seem to me to be quite more than incidental.

'Course next week I may come down with Ebola (should I, say: watch a Rush marathon for 24 hours straight?) but wtf.
It IS a crap shoot, that daily chance that a Hummer + its cel-fone manikin shall suddenly v e e r :-0

New Nothing wrong with 40% butterfat ice cream
It's the whipped cream-like topping that'll kill ya.
--

Drew
     Quick, basic dinner: salmon salad - (mhuber) - (10)
         didnt know things were so tight :-( - (boxley) - (9)
             Not all that tight - (mhuber) - (8)
                 okay, next time try red salmon - (boxley)
                 Aldi's - (beepster) - (1)
                     dollar store but not for dishwasher liquid soap - (boxley)
                 When I did my 1.5 year diet experiment -- - (Ashton) - (4)
                     On dirt - (drook) - (2)
                         Dirt, it's not just about gossip anymore - (Ashton) - (1)
                             Nothing wrong with 40% butterfat ice cream - (drook)
                     My baby brother - (mhuber)

My days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle.
40 ms