IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Assistance to foreign hands != public assistance
That addition makes makes the false version appear to be primarily about personal responsibility. The real quote was about the danger of over-reaching.

Which I've been thinking about lately. Someone quoted the line about Switzerland recently: "Five hundred years of peace and democracy and what have they produced? The cuckoo clock?" My first thought was, "Well, that and five hundred years of peace and democracy."

There's something to be said for an overdeveloped sense of "None of my business." Yes, the Nazis were evil, and keeping those deposits for all these decades seems wrong. But haven't (some) people been saying for a while now that you can't force people to embrace freedom/democracy/just-plain-goodness, they have to take it for themselves? Perhaps that's what Cicero was talking about, in not offering help to foreign hands.
--

Drew
New actually the above was a 1/2 assed apology to rand not
serious. Cut n Paste on the net is easy and lazy
If we torture the data long enough, it will confess. (Ronald Coase, Nobel Prize for Economic Sciences, 1991)
New Make it a full-assed apology and we'll talk
Your "actual quote" comes word-for-word from that same Kansas City Star editorial. It probably made its way into living memory and thence onto the internets via hack novelist Taylor Caldwell's 1965 novel A Pillar of Iron, which is apparently littered with similar bogosities. For the Caldwell connection I am indebted to a 1971 letter to the Chicago Tribune by John H. Collins, Professor of History at Northern Illinois University, who added that a novelist "has a perfect right to put invented conversations and anecdotes into a novel, but should not represent these inventions as authentic history."

Spurious quotations attributed to eminent characters of the past are by way of a minor hobby of mine, box. If I tell you one of these is of dodgy provenance you can take that assertion—but not the counterfeit nugget—to the bank.

cordially,

New full-assed it is
always glad to get called on something, learn something new every day
If we torture the data long enough, it will confess. (Ronald Coase, Nobel Prize for Economic Sciences, 1991)
     Be {{brrrrr}} Careful Out There!! it's a Mondo blizzard - (Ashton) - (21)
         the move to mississippi was thought about a lot this am - (boxley) - (4)
             6-10" expected here tonight/tomorrow. - (mvitale) - (3)
                 yabbut your commute - (boxley) - (1)
                     True enough. - (mvitale)
                 Predictions of another 8-10+" here, starting Tuesday PM. - (Another Scott)
         I'm still here. :-) - (Another Scott) - (13)
             could be worse you could live in King NC - (boxley) - (7)
                 King is just up the road from Mayberry, RFD. - (Another Scott)
                 another thing that never changes - (rcareaga) - (5)
                     close enuff for govt work - (boxley) - (4)
                         Assistance to foreign hands != public assistance - (drook) - (3)
                             actually the above was a 1/2 assed apology to rand not - (boxley) - (2)
                                 Make it a full-assed apology and we'll talk - (rcareaga) - (1)
                                     full-assed it is - (boxley)
             We've got no snow here - but . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (4)
                 :-/ Glad you're Ok. Hang in there. -NT - (Another Scott) - (3)
                     No problem here - I'm below a different check dam . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                         I'm curious. - (static) - (1)
                             No, it's not so much their landscaping . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
         Satellite image - (drook) - (1)
             Neat. Thanks. -NT - (Another Scott)

What a cruddy, unimaginative anti-climax.
46 ms