IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New What's the right thing for a RAID system to do . . .
. . when there are read errors on one disk of t RAID-1 array?

In my opinion it kicks the bad disk out of the array and screams like mad about being degraded.

Apparently my opinion is not universal. Linux software RAID, for instance, kicks the drive out but says nothing (though I'm sure there's an add on that will cause it to blow the horn or something).

But this is worse.

Dell Precision T3400 running Windows XP Pro. Bad read on one disk. Did nothing - but the system wouldn't boot after a power failure. No messages, no nothing, but wouldn't finish chkdsk until after running an hours worth of diagnostics to determine which disk had problems and remove it.

May explain why there were some strange errors with Outlook.

Dell blames this on Windows XP.
New Re: What's the right thing for a RAID system to do . . .
mdadm has a monitor mode.

Debian has it disabled as a daemon from install. You need to enable it. and configure what you want it to do.

/etc/default/mdadm
/etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf

man 5 mdadm.conf

Cheers.
New Thanks - I'll look into that.
I've got a bunch of systems out there set up with software RAID, and I doubt anyone's monitoring them - though I've given them all instructions on how to do it.
New There are some hooks...
That you can have it call a "beep" every "period" you choose.

So...

I've never done it that way. I have the machines e-mail me or an "admin" address
     What's the right thing for a RAID system to do . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (3)
         Re: What's the right thing for a RAID system to do . . . - (folkert) - (2)
             Thanks - I'll look into that. - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                 There are some hooks... - (folkert)

WHEW! That was some seriously strong sh... *KNOCK KNOCK* sorry, I'll get back to that thought in a moment...
54 ms