IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New We must get different ribs
The time you listed isn't particularly long. I tend to do my ribs more like two to three hours at 200 or 250°. And the ones I get are definitely much meatier than what you've got in the picture.

I like the looks of the marinade though. Particularly the ginger and fish sauce. Much different from what I usually do.

As for the cilantro, I'm surprised you wouldn't just grow your own. It doesn't take much room to get a pretty good crop going.
--

Drew
New Re: We must get different ribs
There's quite a timing difference between 250° and 350°. At 350° 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours makes them plenty edible, and even the cartilage is soft enough to chew up. I wouldn't go much over 1-1/2 hours or the pieces will start to dry out.

As for the ribs themselves, when you grab a 9 pound bulk pack on sale at US $0.99/# (remember, I'm really cheap) you get what you get. This batch was down near the sternum, lots of cartilage, not a lot of rib bones.

On the other hand, the results were just fine, modest sized appetizer pieces - and I like lots of cartilage - it's satisfyingly crunchy and very good for bones and joints. In a study I read about, chicken cartilage proved so effective against arthritis the researchers started calling it a "drug" so it could fetch a higher price.

As for growing cilantro - remember where I live. Hot, dry, and on sand and decomposed granite and water is expensive. You play a hose on the ground here, it doesn't even have the courtesy to splash - you can hear it hiss straight on to hell. So growing herbs is strictly a container deal (trees are fine) and takes a fair amount of attention. Miss a day's watering and your herbs are compost - so I don't grow much I can buy so easily at the markets.

My main crops are Sage (not available at the markets where I shop and expensive at the supers), Curry Leaves (trees do fine), Kaffir lime (tree again, leaves and fruit), Sapote Blanca (big tree), Bay Leaves (very, very aggressive trees), Rosemary (you can't kill it if you try), Thyme (for convenience - I don't use it a lot) and Oregano (again for convenience).

The ones I use constantly, Mint, Parsley (flat leaf only), Cilantro, Tarragon, Savory, Dill, Thai Basil and Fenugreek are all conveniently and cheaply available where I shop. I restock every week or every other week depending on the durability of the herb.
Expand Edited by Andrew Grygus Jan. 24, 2010, 09:43:51 PM EST
     Really fine spare ribs and dipping sauce. - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
         We must get different ribs - (drook) - (1)
             Re: We must get different ribs - (Andrew Grygus)

As seen on TV!
29 ms