IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Andrew... any comment on this?
New Well, my experience is in a rather different area.
Small business accounting systems don't need super-servers, and Windows is on the client end with Linux on the server end, and throughput demand is absurdly low, even in a busy company. Also, vendors don't put out that much effort for my class of clients.

On the other hand, I can confirm that vendor tech support is quite competent - provided only their hardware and supported software is involved. If their stuff passes diagnostics, and still doesn't work - they're totally lost.

From the dim distant past, in simpler times, I remember the words of a formerly skeptical tech support guy at Digital Research when I submitted my ingredients list for a system that kept blowing the data. "That's all perfect, it can't possibly not work!"

In that case it turned out to be some unknown code fragment in the BIOS of the Everex host (Everex was a big name at the time) that kept blowing the data, but only with the exact setup I'd installed. Everex could suggest no fix. I replace the computer with an ALR (also a big name at the time) and all was well for 11 years. I don't remember for sure, but I think I sold the Everex to someone else and it worked fine until it died.

In a much more recent case, I had been building computers and maintaining the network for a fast growing firm. A guy named Jonathan rose to power and decided to go "all Microsoft" and "name brand" on the computers. He bought a hideously expensive Dell server - but same deal. Every once in a while it blew the data.

Something was wrong with the on-motherboard SCSI controller, but it always passed diagnostics, so nothing could be done. Finally it had a catastrophic failure, and the service contract had just lapsed.

So I ran home and in a few hours built a real cheap server out of junk and some stuff I was supposed to deliver to another company - and I bought a cheap Linksys NAS for off-line data. I never told him the NAS ran Linux or he would have had a seizure.

This cheap rig performed at least as well as the Dell and didn't eat the data. Jonathan disappeared from the face of the earth at about this time (not computer related) so management was free to have me build them a real server that worked.

But that's the bottom line. Start mixing stuff (and how are you going to build a working system any other way) and vendor tech support gets lost in the fog.

And the one thing I hate, hate, hate more than anything else is a server where everything is built onto the motherboard. You can't pull and replace until it stops failing. Even if you bypass an on-board component, and supposedly disable it, that doesn't mean it isn't still there causing trouble. These machines are too complex for anyone to comprehend, and too close to the edge of nervous breakdown for logic and diagnostics to prove anything.
Expand Edited by Andrew Grygus Jan. 13, 2010, 02:48:13 AM EST
New Everex VS ALR
Wow!

Me too. But in a different order.

I bought the ALR dual CPU for a 30 person editorial division. Around 30 floppy disks to install SCO Xenix with the MPX extensions. It was the Compaq SystemPro rip-off.

After 2 months it went back. The vendor burned a bunch of SCSI drives and cards. SCSI was new to them, badly terminated multiple configurations, sent them back. And then on the next set needed to be swapped (vendor burned them), I recieved the original burned ones back. I marked everything from that moment on.

The thing would panic on heavy IO. Or when I looked at it poorly.

When we gave up on that, we moved to the Everex Step Cube. Serial number 9. Created by hand, by loving lab techs. It was WONDERFUL.

Then they offloaded the production to a real manufacturing site. Every cube produced after that moment SUCKED. Bus was not grouded properly, boards would fry. Not to me though. Whenever I called support with a problem, 1st I had to prove my system was actually made in-house. Then they'd give me a REAL tech. And then they'd fix the problem. Easily, or at least, with a good chance of happy resolution. They conferenced in people from SCO (when it was a decent company), and got 1-off MPX patches. If I had bought a later one, I'd have to swap the entire system out since they didn't trust them and would not waste their time with them.
New I sold a few MegaCubes . . .
. . and a whole lot of Step desktops - enough to get an award from Everex. Unfortunately most of them went to one large company.

The company had a branch office and wanted to install a Step there, but Everex refused to provide on-site service in Santa Barbara - too far from their nearest office. The company turned to another brand for all their computers.

At about this time Everex went into serious decline.
New They had very little remote physical techs
They depended on vendors like you for the hands on.

My vendor was IFFY. On the other hand, run through the typical vendors. Highend enough to play with the BLEEDING edge, inexepensive enough to want to buy the non-Compaq system-pro alternatives. This would be an aspiring vendor, someone who is willing to take a risk on Tier-2, unable (or unwilling) to qualify for Tier-1.

The vendor in my area was about an hour away. They were N Jersey, I was S Jersey. There were no others that I was allowed to talk to, since I foolishly called them 1st. I would have preferred a PA/Philly area based vendor.

At that point, a service call would cost serious money if I was paying for travel time. I wasn't. This was all included in the quite reasonable (as compared to CPQ) price. Which meant for every blip on this brand-new system (ALR in this case, but same vendor for the cube) would then trigger at least a day effort on the vendor tech's part. They must have lost serious money when trying to install it over 3 months.

Did they call upon you to perform service calls on systems installed by some other vendor?

New No, they never called on me to perform service . . .
. . on any systems. They were attempting to set up their own service structure here in Los Angeles and didn't want mere dealers horning in on their contracts.
     Latest browser benchmarks on Winders. - (Another Scott) - (22)
         Hahaha he said: .... - (folkert) - (19)
             Bummer. - (Another Scott)
             Tales like this... - (pwhysall) - (8)
                 you is out of IT? - (boxley) - (7)
                     IT is in my job, but my job isn't IT. - (pwhysall) - (6)
                         Ah, like customer service at Verizon -NT - (drook)
                         s/managing/lowering/g :-) -NT - (boxley) - (3)
                             Isn't that always what it means? - (drook) - (2)
                                 IME, that is usually so. - (static)
                                 Not really - (pwhysall)
                         This sounds like something from "Office Space" - (beepster)
             One possible difference (minor to me) - (scoenye) - (8)
                 More info... - (folkert) - (7)
                     Drool.... - (scoenye)
                     Andrew... any comment on this? -NT - (folkert) - (5)
                         Well, my experience is in a rather different area. - (Andrew Grygus) - (4)
                             Everex VS ALR - (crazy) - (3)
                                 I sold a few MegaCubes . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                                     They had very little remote physical techs - (crazy) - (1)
                                         No, they never called on me to perform service . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
         If you can live with the interface... - (pwhysall)
         This is why I won't support Windows servers. - (static)

A....E....I....O....U....Some....Times....Y.
59 ms