IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New IT is in my job, but my job isn't IT.
If I had to boil my job down to a single sentence, it'd be "managing the customer's expectations".
New Ah, like customer service at Verizon
--

Drew
New s/managing/lowering/g :-)
New Isn't that always what it means?
Not being sarcastic this time. No one ever talks about "managing expectations" unless they mean that they're trying to lower expectations to fit under the expected reality.
--

Drew
New IME, that is usually so.
A lot of the time it is a conversation between what is desired and what is possible. Sometimes, what is requested is idiotically easy and what can be delivered is much greater. More usually, the customer simply needs their expectations to actually be grounded in reality. That's what "managing expectations" involves. Then it's a conversation between people who think they know what they want and people who have to make something happen. One sales guy I sometimes work with has been known to say that *he* doesn't remember how the database is structured because *we* know and can just tell him when he asks. :-/

Wade.

Q:Is it proper to eat cheeseburgers with your fingers?
A:No, the fingers should be eaten separately.
New Not really
We have a very close relationship with our customer; the product (a rather intricate highway management system) is complex and continually changing due to a rolling programme of upgrades and fault responses.

The relationship is twofold - we talk to their technology people, but we also have a relationship with the operational staff. This being a government agency, left and right hands don't always communicate as well as they might, so we sometimes act as an intermediary.

Operational issues trump all; the expectations being managed are sometimes those of the technology side, with them being told by us that the operations people want feature X or have problem Y, so roadmap feature Z will either have to wait or will cost more or will require a modification.
Expand Edited by pwhysall Jan. 12, 2010, 09:49:56 PM EST
New This sounds like something from "Office Space"
"I deal with the damn customers so the engineers don't have to. I have people skills".

Or something like that...

I will choose a path that's clear. I will choose freewill.
     Latest browser benchmarks on Winders. - (Another Scott) - (22)
         Hahaha he said: .... - (folkert) - (19)
             Bummer. - (Another Scott)
             Tales like this... - (pwhysall) - (8)
                 you is out of IT? - (boxley) - (7)
                     IT is in my job, but my job isn't IT. - (pwhysall) - (6)
                         Ah, like customer service at Verizon -NT - (drook)
                         s/managing/lowering/g :-) -NT - (boxley) - (3)
                             Isn't that always what it means? - (drook) - (2)
                                 IME, that is usually so. - (static)
                                 Not really - (pwhysall)
                         This sounds like something from "Office Space" - (beepster)
             One possible difference (minor to me) - (scoenye) - (8)
                 More info... - (folkert) - (7)
                     Drool.... - (scoenye)
                     Andrew... any comment on this? -NT - (folkert) - (5)
                         Well, my experience is in a rather different area. - (Andrew Grygus) - (4)
                             Everex VS ALR - (crazy) - (3)
                                 I sold a few MegaCubes . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                                     They had very little remote physical techs - (crazy) - (1)
                                         No, they never called on me to perform service . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
         If you can live with the interface... - (pwhysall)
         This is why I won't support Windows servers. - (static)

I like when things catch fire and explode, which means I do not have your best interests in mind.
110 ms