IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Dammit, need a new water heater
This one's 15 years old, so way past its rated life. But still annoying and unplanned.
--

Drew
New :-( hope you can do it yourself
New Ditto. Good luck.
New $400 is he can't.
That blows.

My next one and I can get rid of the chimney. I'm getting a "H-E" water heater next time.

My Furnace is H-E, but the water heater is not. Once it is, the Chiment can come down and I can re-claim the 26"x26" floor to ceiling "box" in the bathroom.
New Tankless sounds great...
But the idea of having to run 50-150A service to each bathroom (and a new main breaker cabinet - http://www.gotankles...requirements.html ), or new gas lines to each sink (and possible exhaust), isn't terribly appealing.

I saw a "how it's made" show on TV that showed these A.O. Smith HE tanks being manufactured. Neat stuff, but spendy - $2k! http://www.hotwater....idential/gas.html I have no idea how long it would take to pay for itself (it probably can't), but natural gas isn't going to be getting cheaper...

Cheers,
Scott.

New te funnay
someone takes a radiator concept puts it in a round case and gets 2k
New There's a *little* more to it than that... ;-)
Compare the manufacture of a conventional water heater with the HE:

Conventional: http://www.youtube.c...tch?v=1ofSyXUW0TY

HE: http://www.youtube.c...tch?v=6nLuRvM1iMc

A.O. Smith will probably have to have competition from LG or Samsung to be forced to reduce the price. :-(

Cheers,
Scott.
New Water heater replacement is always unplanned.
You first notice you have a problem is when the floor is flooded. Unfortunately they've gone waaaaaay up in price over the years (I'm on my third one now).

Replacement is easy, except for wrestling the weight.

Around here disposal is really easy. I just leave the old one in the driveway and Mexican scavengers will spot it within days and come knocking at the door.

The last ones that come around got more than they bargained for. They'd spotted an old communications cabinet. They left with that, three large copy machines, a huge and ancient Xerox laser printer, heaps and piles of old computer cabinets, and much more. Their big stake bed truck was full.
New I didn't get the flood
Last night we smelled something burning coming through the heater ducts. I shut down the furnace and water heater, since I couldn't identify where it was coming from, and shut down the gas to both. Figured it was already past midnight, throw an extra blanket on each of the kids and deal with it in the morning.

Today, sent the kids to their grandparents while I fired the furnace back up. No smell anywhere. Hmm. Fired the water heater up and no smell. Checked the exhaust and it was drawing just fine. Hmm. Called the guy who does our heating stuff to come check it out.

He re-did what I did: Shut everything down, turned on one then the other. When the water tank fired up, the flame shot out the access port a little bit. It's got a metal shield that goes over it, so I had never worried about it. (It's done that before when I had to relight the pilot light after a blew out.)

He showed me the faint smudge of smoke above the T&P valve, which means every time the burner was lighting it was singing the insulation and venting through the opening for the T&P valve. Which is far enough away from the exhaust to not get drawn up, but right next to the inlet for the furnace. So if the water tank lights up just before the furnace kicks on, it draws in the burnt exhaust smell.

So even if the tank itself is still good, the regulator on the burner is shot. And it's 15 years old. And the gas line leading up to it is no longer up to code. I ain't working on a gas line. He's downstairs right now putting in a high-efficiency Rheem for $600. Which is about what I could buy the tank for retail.

I looked at the tankless, and best estimate is it would pay for itself in 15 years. I don't plan on still being here by then.
--

Drew
New My bro's recent experience
Brother's father in-law calls.
They have a house in the Poconos that they JUST put
a new boiler for the radiater heat, and it doesn't
work. Can he please check it out?

Brother lives 10 minutes from the house.

Who put it in?

Buddy.

Buddy? You let Buddy put a heater in?
WTF is wrong with you?

Oh, so he checks it out. Really low heat high efficiency
boiler. It refuses to run. The sensors say it is
dangerous.

Huh?

This thing is designed to have a 30 foot chimney over it,
so the exhaust draws itself out via heat. It cannot simply
be exhausted out the wall a few feet away, which is what the
guy did.

My brother, who is blind and does not drive, does the research
to what the manufacturer requires. He finds out you can add
in a series of exhaust fans that are controlled by the furnace,
but it is very expensive.

At least for them to do it.

He tracks down the parts and installs it. It takes 2 minutes
and 3 or 4 devices to all work correctly (talking to each
other as well) and fire up.

Kind of scary. I can see where a joint hardware / sensor
failure could create a dangerous situation, but I have no idea
what the reliability of these components are.

Dammit, need a new water heater - (drook) - (9)
         :-( hope you can do it yourself -NT - (boxley) - (5)
             Ditto. Good luck. -NT - (Another Scott)
             $400 is he can't. - (folkert) - (3)
                 Tankless sounds great... - (Another Scott) - (2)
                     te funnay - (boxley) - (1)
                         There's a *little* more to it than that... ;-) - (Another Scott)
         Water heater replacement is always unplanned. - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
             I didn't get the flood - (drook)
         My bro's recent experience - (crazy)

Two words: Detox. Gel.
52 ms