IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Vulnerability fixed - sort of . . .
Swine flu for computers (current version is PSecure) has patched its main vulnerability.

In previous versions you couldn't run any programs and couldn't boot in Safe Mode, but you could do Ctrl-Alt-Del to bring up the task manager and start killing processes until you got the swine flu one. Then you could proceed to do clean-up.

Now Ctrl-Alt-Del doesn't work - unless - you do it as soon as Windows will accept it. Swine flu takes a while to load so you can get the task manager up before it's blocked.
New Thats not a good patch...thats a bad patch.
I will choose a path that's clear. I will choose freewill.
New I wonder at the sort of people who get these things.
They must be the sort of people who believe you when you say 'gullible' has been removed from the dictionary, who persist in using Outlook (and IE) because they can't conceive of a different program for email (or web browsing), and tend to follow dodgy links and load suspect attachments in their email no matter how many times you tell them not to. Or am I tarring too many with that brush?

I know people can learn - my sister got hit (we don't know what it was) with something some years ago and lost a lot of irreplacable files. Now she uses Opera for browsing and Eudora for email and runs AVG. My brother also learnt not to ask for help with his PC if he won't listen to my recommendations, though that incident wasn't virus-related.

Interestingly, there's an argument brewing over Linux vs Windows in a mailing list I'm on that's dedicated to Ensoniq's samplers. One of the "points of comparison" was anti-virus software. Another was pirated software, which is slightly ironic given that anyone who's selling copies of the old Ensoniq OS diskettes is technically pirating it (which has been noted on-list already).

Wade.

Q:Is it proper to eat cheeseburgers with your fingers?
A:No, the fingers should be eaten separately.
New The infection vectors are also changing
With the growth in flash adverts and limited oversight..the latest infection i dealt with was, from what I could gather, borne via facebook ad with no click required.

So its not simply a matter of getting executables in emails and opening them...the virus/malware creators are getting better about how they deliver them as well.
New I'm waiting for the first ChromeOS virus, myself... :-/
New The person who brought in this latest one . . .
. . is a pretty sophisticated computer user - but there are teens in the house.

One thing the infectors have been doing lately is breaking into the servers of perfectly legitimate Web sites and distributing their stuff from there for as long as it takes for the admin to realize s/he's got a problem.

Many other vectors are being exploited as well. Everyone I've had to clean up lately was running an up-to-date virus program - mostly AVG (paid) but others as well.
New ask droob how it happens :-)
New Point of order
I run Linux, so I don't need to be quite as paranoid as the average Windows user.
--

Drew
New sawright, couldnt resist. Only a matter of time before
my macs get nailed
New Seen several times in my house lately:
My wife subscribes to some sort of Google Advisor links thingy that alerts her to new stuff she might be interested in (at least I think that's how it works).

Several times over the past week she's clicked on a link and gotten into a malware site with the fake "scanning your computer for viruses" thing. No matter what gets clicked after that point it always ends up trying to download "install.exe".
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Wife's lapper had that one 3 times in different variations
latest last night. Immediately on opening browser.
     Vulnerability fixed - sort of . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (10)
         Thats not a good patch...thats a bad patch. -NT - (beepster)
         I wonder at the sort of people who get these things. - (static) - (8)
             The infection vectors are also changing - (beepster) - (1)
                 I'm waiting for the first ChromeOS virus, myself... :-/ -NT - (Another Scott)
             The person who brought in this latest one . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
             ask droob how it happens :-) -NT - (boxley) - (2)
                 Point of order - (drook) - (1)
                     sawright, couldnt resist. Only a matter of time before - (boxley)
             Seen several times in my house lately: - (malraux) - (1)
                 Wife's lapper had that one 3 times in different variations - (beepster)

7.8 on the Richter scale.
64 ms