IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Couple of pics, and a suggestion
http://cooklikeyourg...nksgiving-turkey/

That shows the foil over the breast. I also wrap the wing tips, not because anyone eats them, but otherwise they come out like charcoal.

And the suggestion: Since this is your first time, don't stuff it. Just put a half an onion and a few ribs of celery in it, and do the dressing in a casserole on the side. Oh, and move it to the freezer fridge (Doh!) at least a week before you plan to cook it. They take much longer to thaw properly than you would think.
--

Drew
Expand Edited by drook Dec. 19, 2009, 06:10:07 PM EST
New Re: Couple of pics, and a suggestion
I think you meant "move to the refigerator" rather than "freezer".

Note that the FDA has no supporting data for their refrigerator thawing recommendation. Actual tests have shown more bacteria growth during a refrigerator thaw than for a cold water or an open counter thaw (both of which are approved by the USDA for commercial food preparation).

Further, the refrigerator thaw not only ties up a large amount of refrigerator real estate for days at a time, it also risks contaminating other foods. Note that my turkey roasting article lists times for refrigerator thaw - they are long.

Can you get bacterial growth from an open counter thaw? Of course you can - on exactly the part of turkey that's about to be heated to over 300°F. The USDA admits all bacteria is dead at 164°F but they recommend 168°F because people may not measure accurately.

The old 185°F recommendation is dead - the USDA could find not one shred of supporting data for that ruinous temperature, but most thermometers still are marked for 185.

On the stuffing matter, I fully agree with you. Cooking the stuffing inside the turkey adds little to the stuffing, a significant amount of risk, and nothing to the turkey (except a sauerkraut stuffing does somewhat flavor the turkey). Getting a stuffed turkey to come out completely right takes a bit of experience.
New Doh! Of course that's what I meant.
Personally I prefer a bird that has never been frozen. But we're already past that option here.

When I do have to thaw a bird (usually a chicken) I do it in water in the sink. Change the water every 20-30 minutes, pull the giblets as soon as I can and get water inside it. I completely agree that how long you spend getting it to the right temperature is much more of an issue than how you get it there.
--

Drew
     Oh, please help - (laura) - (16)
         Re: Oh, please help - (Andrew Grygus) - (11)
             My god, that's a lot of work. - (laura) - (10)
                 Re: My god, that's a lot of work. - (Andrew Grygus) - (9)
                     Doing it all myself. - (laura) - (6)
                         take the bird to salvation army - (boxley) - (1)
                             We've done that a few times. - (Another Scott)
                         Couple of pics, and a suggestion - (drook) - (2)
                             Re: Couple of pics, and a suggestion - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                                 Doh! Of course that's what I meant. - (drook)
                         Don't fret...its not that hard - (beepster)
                     typo in notes - "but don't overseeten." -NT - (SpiceWare) - (1)
                         Thanks - I'll get that fixed. -NT - (Andrew Grygus)
         Many thanks! - (laura)
         Oh, and Drew... - (laura) - (2)
             Woot! :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
             What he ^^^ said -NT - (drook)

There should be an opportunity for somebody here.
79 ms