IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Cable modem purchase..
It seems that Comcast 'decided' they will now bump from $3 to $5/month, the rent for my (3rd try on their nickel) cable modem: Scientific Atlanta (a Cisco Co?) DPC2100R2. Why would I want to make Comcast richer, as it takes over the pedestrian Tee Vee programming too?

Seems as if I should just buy one; see several on eBay, from BuyItNow price of $40ish to lots less, a few hours out from close.
I note a CD (ugh) in the box, but don't recall it being used by the Tech who came out to replace the second failed unit (forgot first mfg name.) Other than the MAC address being unique, I wonder if I need do more than just swap it out??

Or: get an eBay special (and the free mail-back box from Comcast) and just send back the 'new' one?
(Maybe there are better ones, but this model has been invisible since install, so I hate to disturb its reverie.)

What think? No-brainer swap or, with modem-to-iMac cable disconnected ... need I enter any arcane numbers on booting a new one?

Thanks for any tips

New You will have to tell them
The MAC change will disable your connection. Other than that, any DOCSIS 2 modem should be a safe choice. Select areas already have DOCSIS 3 (higher speeds possible) so you may want to take a look at those as well.
New I think any recent modern one should work for basics.
I bought our Motorola SurfBoard 5100 DOCSIS 2.0 from newegg long ago, never leasing one from Cox. It's been fine. There were times that I thought something was wrong with it over the years, but either power it off and on fixed it or it was a problem with the external wiring or upstream on the wire. I never used the CD (you talk to it via a web interface). Note that I don't have the highest speed service that's available from Cox - I don't know if the modem would need to be replaced for that.

You basically just need to be sure it uses the same DOCSIS specification as Comcast.

http://www.amazon.co...lm/R357UOMXIH14H5 claims to be a list of currently supported Comcast boxes. I would check that carefully, and check the reviews at newegg. Can you buy the SA cable modem new anywhere? It seems like a lot of cable TV boxes, etc., that are used by the cable companies are just available via a lease, so some/most/all of the stuff available on eBay and CraigsList is effectively stolen (I could very well be wrong, though). Make sure that whatever you get you can use (since you have to call Comcast and give them the numbers to make a connection to their network).

I have no experience with "Haxorware" and the like - reflashed ROMs that reprogram cable modems. I see that some of them on eBay have that "feature".

Note that if you want the very fastest speeds now and in the future, you probably want a DOCSIS 3.0 modem. They're, naturally, more expensive. I dunno if the "turbo speed" or whatever is available or coming soon to your area. e.g. http://www.newegg.co...m=N82E16825122009 (no personal experience with it, myself).

As I haven't bought one recently, I can't give any insight on reliable brands and models these days.

Personally, I'd get something new because initial connectivity can be tough to troubleshoot - "Why doesn't this work? Is it the wiring or the modem or a bad setting or ..." That may be less of a concern since you're already connected, and then it might be worth saving a few bucks at the risk of spending more time.

HTH a little. Good luck!

Cheers,
Scott.
New Thanks, both..
Methinks that I'll try for an identical model on the cheap at eBay, then try sending That back for credit. Can't imagine their troubling to look at its MAC address, though I could be wrong.
In that manner, Nothing gets unplugged.
(Was informed by Install techs that, merely unplugging modem <--> iMac cable! would require a small Setup intervention.

Maybe later.. re higher-speed modems; I'll be on Comcast's el-cheapo version for the duration (mine was to be a "6-months" trial)
but their bookkeeping indicates they won't bug me for a year; nice when corporate errs on My side.

Thanks for the al punte info, which I shall peruse ... as you say, the tradeoff of used price VS extra labor (basically the same as: buy Beastware+hardware cheaper and pay / and pay / in trouble time) -- suggests to me the above game.

PS -- another Corp bonus: turns out that the Tee Vee channels come down same pipe (well ... History , Comedy Central and a few other watchable sites.) So with a splitter I get the Intarweb and eye candy too.
No cable box to convert to recognizable 'channels', of course -- but between off-air and the freebies, n i c e.

Still and all ... Too Much ... Information.

Cable modem purchase.. - (Ashton) - (3)
         You will have to tell them - (scoenye)
         I think any recent modern one should work for basics. - (Another Scott) - (1)
             Thanks, both.. - (Ashton)

The pursuit of balance can create imbalance because sometimes something is true.
69 ms