IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New OS X disk permissions and a few other qustions
Updated things today.
Still on Leopard but moving towards Snow-L ... my pace is not yours.
Following same, ran disk utility; seems that permissions do get bollixed on these occasions.

So then, what means: ... has been modified and will not be repaired ??

I note that most of those left unrepaired appear to be 'security' related, though my OS X / *nix knowledge remains solidly near the tyro bracket. As, below list after Update.
And *who* did the modifying -- when and why, let alone how. Well, approximately..
I gather that the 'l' is a sym-link; need I wonder how such came to be converted?
It seems that Apple periodically creates "special cases" and advises folks not-to-worry
(though that quip was from '06 at macintouch.)

Repairing permissions for “iMac HD”
Reading permissions database.
Reading the permissions database can take several minutes.

Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/AirPort Base Station Agent.app/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "Applications/Utilities/AirPort Utility.app/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are lrw-rw-r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/DVD.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/FRSettings.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/FRSources.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/Movies.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/Music.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/Photos.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/Podcasts.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/TV.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/BackRow.framework/Versions/A/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/Filesystems/AppleShare/afpLoad" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DiskManagement.framework/Versions/A/Resources/DiskManagementTool" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "sbin/umount" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "bin/rcp" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/RemoteDesktop.menu/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrwxr-xr-x .
Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/quota" C
Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/rlogin" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/rsh" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Locum" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/Extensions/webdav_fs.kext/Contents/Resources/load_webdav" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "usr/sbin/pppd" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "usr/sbin/vpnd" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Permissions repair complete

(I am not using sharing, nor is there a network of any sort attached.)

So I looked:
http://archive.macfi...p/topics/470096/3

No one noted a "will not be repaired" message, unless I missed it.

So then, I should not worry pretty-little head, as Apple says:
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1448

But their examples range across a lot of apps; mine seem to be only SUID-related.
Coincidence or worthy of investigation of {ugh} pwn-ership??

Then there's the New Safari (seems even faster..) this weird Time Machine-like bookmark display.. has possibilities.
Have I mentioned how bitchin this iMac has been since 1-29ish 09?
I've mainly eschewed thumbing the Missing Manual™ and just stumbled across most of the features; so much fun being able to trust the guts to be as unRedmondlike as you'd want a sane OS to be!

re Snow Leopard -- I'd expect that it will maintain all settings during upgrade and seamlessly present its new face ... but what about Time Machine, the data stored in Leopard, then Snow-L:
Say the HD self-destructs -- is there reason to suppose that the reinstall of Snow-L and the Restore via TM: will still automagically work with no human interdiction?

Any illumination welcome.

Ed: PS -- I don't see the Refresh button available on Customize Tool Bar ... what, gots to go to address field and hit Return, now?
(That also means no STOP button!? Dumb It, or Dumb moi ... if it's hidden somewhere new. Sheesh.)
Expand Edited by Ashton Dec. 13, 2009, 12:55:38 AM EST
New Are you experiencing problems?
Permissions Repair has become something of a mantra amongst less-technical OS X users. I imagine that this is the same user demographic that, religiously and at the first sign of any trouble, reset their PRAM in days of yore.

In short, it doesn't usually do much (although, to be fair, there are times it's useful; if you've installed a piece of software that ran an Installer script, and then removed it, and things aren't right) and is on-par with defragmentation of HFS+ volumes. Theoretically useful, practically - less so.

Despite Apple's best efforts to hide it, OS X is made out of 100% Genuine UNIX, and all the usual UNIX rules apply. Everything's a file. Permissions are twiddled with chmod(1). It's surprisingly hard to break.

The only time permissions will ever present a real problem is (a) when a write flag disappears, so a process can't write to something and (b) when an execute flag disappears, and something can't run. Fucked up Installer scripts, as described above, are the usual culprits (assuming no end-user shenanigans).
New Thanks, that covers it.. no es una problema.
Wonder why Español always assigns a feminine gender to [negatives], like "problem" -- more Catholic Church dogma messing with ... even the basic Language?

No, I don't intend to look for Trouble; manifestly already the OS has proven entirely adequate on its own. As promised.
I tend to reboot after 35ish days merely to zero-out Swap memory; this in pref to some other routine which claims to accomplish (most of the recovering) without a reboot. 'Sleep' == Love. It.
I noted the mantra of which you speak; concur that the advice-givers in that area seem to operate from that level -- which is why I asked the IGM.

Believe once, an {ugh} inescapable 'up'grade of the bloody flash player threw some arcane message about Keychain. Rather than psych out the whole keychain mantra, I ran the Permissions drill; it then seemed happy, so wtf. Blind luck, in the event.

Will be unlikely to install anything which does not offer some function I Need, and see why I do.
That worked even with Billyware, so my habits seem relatively copacetic.

Gracias

New Re: Thanks, that covers it.. no es una problema.
I tend to reboot after 35ish days merely to zero-out Swap memory

To what advantage?

(swap doesn't automatically get deleted on a reboot in OS X; the swapfiles in /private/var/vm persist over a reboot)
New One in iStat display
Meant, merely: that particular swapfile displayed in iStat.. which grows to almost 4 GB, with many pages of Safari left unclosed. Should I know about the ex. you gave, and similar - for intelligent maintenance?
(Can't see offhand why I should be intervening in any 'virtual machine' (operations) in normal circumstances.)

In similar vein of constructive failure to peruse The MIssing Manual -- I realize that there are beaucoup LOGs, presumably with individual close/store/open-new schedules set to some default. I expect I ought to find out those schedules and, someday delete many of the earlier ones. Or maybe not, if the actual %disk remains trivial by these defaults.

I find that I like not having to care! (mostly) yet I also mean to evade a OS reload, say because of very much accumulated cruft that cannot easily be vacuumed out? -- without detailed lore under one's belt. I see a certain conflict in these simultaneous aims.

(And I note that the latest build of Safari, with the cutesy 3D display of bookmarked sites - has managed to "..quit unexpectedly" twice.
No such events previously, but I do recall words about a few memory leaks in earlier versions. No loss, as the 'restore all pages' in History exists, works just fine.

All of this bitchin idiot-proof design is lulling me into a warm sense of Security which ... in most past experience ... eventually seemed to reach that tipping-point we call, false-

Just sayin.

Ed: oTpy
Expand Edited by Ashton Dec. 22, 2009, 10:25:58 PM EST
New All I have to say is this...
UNIX is far more bulletproof and water-resistant and torpedo proof than anything else out there. Its the whole concept of it. Many cannot get over or around it let alone wrap the mind around it.

There are multiple reasons, yet many cannot get over the fact that privilege separation *just works*. The SWAP thingy you are worried about is the UNIX way to move things to the side desk, that have not been used recently, versus taking up room on the main desk and making it messy.

Main Memory == Currently working on and actively using area

Swap Memory (on disk) == Easily accessible side table/desk, where stuff is still open but not actively worked on exist.

Disk == the Storage Cabinet where all the stuff is stored in hard form and takes a bit to retrieve.

Just to let you know Ashton, I've got some 10+ year old servers that have *REALLY* old Linux on them. Some have been up and running since the last time they were shut down in November of 2006 (during a re-racking that had to happen). I've only got one that is giving me irritation and should probably be rebooted, but its got the case of the sporadic problems, nothing solidly wrong, just a few (of the HYARGE numbers of them) cron jobs failing randomly. Nothing repeatable, but its a sign that memory leaks are happening. Its the price you pay for uptime and stability (1000+ days).

So, your worry about accumulating cruft in the OS Bowels is unfounded, unless you are installing and uninstalling programs willy nilly. Doing updates and your core programs like FireFox and OpenOffice (I'd like to suggest iWork... as its very nice for its job), the installation replaces the previous stuff and is very nicely done. Since OSX doesn't have most of the downfalls of Windows in this regard... duly ignore it.
New Re: All I have to say is this...
UNIX is far more bulletproof and water-resistant and torpedo proof than anything else out there

...apart from VMS.
New I have to add...
... that in their own, unique ways, OS/390, Tandem NonStop and probably dozens of others were also quite bulletproof in their day and for their time. :-)

Wade.

Q:Is it proper to eat cheeseburgers with your fingers?
A:No, the fingers should be eaten separately.
New So... where is VMS on the Desktop?
New Irrelevant
UNIX is far more bulletproof and water-resistant and torpedo proof than anything else out there.
I was responding to this.
New Guess since you are an obtuse individual...
I need to be acute.

Nothing like talk past each other.
     OS X disk permissions and a few other qustions - (Ashton) - (10)
         Are you experiencing problems? - (pwhysall) - (9)
             Thanks, that covers it.. no es una problema. - (Ashton) - (8)
                 Re: Thanks, that covers it.. no es una problema. - (pwhysall) - (7)
                     One in iStat display - (Ashton) - (6)
                         All I have to say is this... - (folkert) - (5)
                             Re: All I have to say is this... - (pwhysall) - (4)
                                 I have to add... - (static)
                                 So... where is VMS on the Desktop? -NT - (folkert) - (2)
                                     Irrelevant - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                         Guess since you are an obtuse individual... - (folkert)

I'm into you like an undersized thong.
80 ms