IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Typos
Santoku page - "the grantons are are not"

Meat cleaver has empty brackets after the title. Same on the oyster knife page.

Mandolin = "safety slider. . " And a random period by itself on the last line.

Sharpening stones -- stray period after "Best" in links.

If you're going to take that heretical stance that you should use a stone instead of a steel, it would be really handy to have a video or two of how to use it. For those of use who have never worked in a machine shop.
--

Drew
New Thanks - fixed those.
Added a note on using stones in the steel section, but no video right now - nobody to take it. My friends are all Luddites like me and don't have video cameras.

That may change. I may be dating a photographer / retouch artist in the near future - hard to tell at this point. She's very busy now during picture taking season - needs to build up a cash reserve for the expected dead January.
New If you've got a recent digital camera, you've got video
I've shot stuff with mine, and it looks fine for internet work. Not as good as a real video camera for viewing on TV. $15 tripod and your camera on top and you're golden.
--

Drew
New Ditto
I just took a piano recital video with my new Sony camera. The results were more yellow that I would have liked, but it was serviceable.

The pictures of the sharpening really didn't do much for me. I'm still not sure what Andrew is doing in them.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New I know what he's doing because I already know
And speaking of what he's doing ...

Andrew, there's actually good precedent for your preference to go the opposite direction to what most people show. Look at the way lumberjacks do their blades. (Or knights with their swords, but let's use a more common example.)

They hold the blade still and stroke the stone over it, from the handle out toward the tip. You could argue that's simply a more convenient or natural motion when holding the blade still and moving the stone. But if there's a way to get the blade sharper, these guys would do it.

http://www.wonderhow...en-an-axe-194871/

That's a home user, but I've seen the competitive guys do the same thing.
--

Drew
New To me, it looks safer too.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New My $0.02 on sharpening.
I've never had much luck with bare sharpening stones - it's too easy for me to get the angle wrong. I've got a Lansky 5-stone system that has worked very well for me for many years. It'll quickly sharpen everything from pen-knives to larger kitchen knives very quickly. You move the stone, not the knife, so it seems a little safer, too.

What I think is an advantage of this system is that (once you set up the stones with the guide rods, and it only takes a handful of seconds) the angle is fixed, so you could, if you wanted, change the angle on a knife edge without removing any more material than necessary.

But I can understand why someone might not want to spend the money. :-)

Another way to check for sharpness is to (very carefully!) lightly draw the edge across your thumbnail perpendicular to your thumb. A sharp knife will leave a mark - a dull knife won't. There are better ways to check for sharpness, though....

My $0.02. Thanks.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Re: My $0.02 on sharpening.
The Lansky system is pretty well thought of, and I'll probably give it a mention in the "Sharpening Systems" section.
     Knives - (Andrew Grygus) - (18)
         Re: Knives - (malraux) - (1)
             Thanks, fixed. -NT - (Andrew Grygus)
         ulu - (boxley) - (5)
             Re: ulu - (Andrew Grygus) - (4)
                 another note - (boxley) - (3)
                     Re: another note - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                         awesome, I now feel important -NT - (boxley)
                     Re: another note - (Andrew Grygus)
         Nice. - (Another Scott) - (1)
             Thanks. - (Andrew Grygus)
         Typos - (drook) - (7)
             Thanks - fixed those. - (Andrew Grygus) - (6)
                 If you've got a recent digital camera, you've got video - (drook) - (3)
                     Ditto - (malraux) - (2)
                         I know what he's doing because I already know - (drook) - (1)
                             To me, it looks safer too. -NT - (malraux)
                 My $0.02 on sharpening. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                     Re: My $0.02 on sharpening. - (Andrew Grygus)

That sounds like a venereal disease.
78 ms