IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Anyone got Nintendo DS game recommendations?
For 6 and 9-YO girls. On the Wii, they love Mario Kart and Wii Sports, and really like a no-name carnival game -- classic midway games like ring toss, dunk tank, etc.

I want to avoid the branded crap that just teaches them to be fashion slaves.

Shooting and combat games are out.

If they both have one, do we need two copies of the game to play head-to-head? I'm assuming yes.
--

Drew
New Answer to the last is, obviously, yes.
We had that issue with our boys and Pokémon games....A few years ago, when they were appropriately-aged. They've since outgrown, of course. :)
-Mike

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin, 1759 Historical Review of Pennsylvania
New Sometimes
I've seen a few games that say you can play head-to-head with only one cartridge. Mario Party looks good, actually. Some others have the icon for networked play, but all they really do is send a mini-game from one unit to another to play solo. Guess I'll have to read descriptions and reviews carefully.

Hmm, wonder if the library stocks DS games.
--

Drew
New 11yo has been playing this for a couple of years
http://en.wikipedia....agon_%28series%29
dunno if that meets the no combat rule, its kinda hokey more like mario brothers than grand theft auto
New I've seen that, yeah "platformers" are good, thanks
--

Drew
New Not DS, but...
If you're looking for more Wii game recommendations:

Wii Fit
Wii Sports Resort
Mario Party 8

All dearly loved by my 6yo, and active enough that I don't really consider them "video games" in the usual sense.

He works up a sweat playing the kendo game in Wii Sports Resort.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Already got Wii Fit
So of course they came out with a new balance board (or whatever they call that thing) for it. Is that what you need for Sports Resort?

Mario Party seems to get good reviews on every system. That's a good sign.
--

Drew
New Re: Already got Wii Fit
Sports Resort requires a new wiimote attachment, and typically it is packaged with one. I bought an extra one so we would have 2 for the kendo game.

I haven't seen the new balance board. The only thing I'm aware of is the Wii Fit Plus (or whatever it's called) that adds more features and games. You can buy that as a simple $20 CD though.

Another game that is fun (if a bit cracked) is Wario Ware: Smooth Moves. It's basically short attention span theater, with a few hundred microgames: weird stuff like "pluck the nose hair" and "make an omelet", and very funny and entertaining.

It's not as active as the other games, however.
Regards,
-scott
New Sounds like Rayman Raving Rabbids
Funny as hell, and very strange. One mini-game you're a dentist pulling worms out of a rabbits rotten teeth. Deeply, satisfyingly twisted.
--

Drew
New Yep, we have those too.
Similar, but the games are truly microgames as compared to Rayman.
Regards,
-scott
New Have you looked at Super Mario Bros?
It is *the* classic platformer and has some mini-games as well. I don't know how the multi-player mode works, but you can multi-player with one card. IIRC the booklet is quite clear that this is possible and fairly full-featured. I think the limitation is on saving games.

Wade.

Q:Is it proper to eat cheeseburgers with your fingers?
A:No, the fingers should be eaten separately.
     Anyone got Nintendo DS game recommendations? - (drook) - (10)
         Answer to the last is, obviously, yes. - (mvitale) - (1)
             Sometimes - (drook)
         11yo has been playing this for a couple of years - (boxley) - (1)
             I've seen that, yeah "platformers" are good, thanks -NT - (drook)
         Not DS, but... - (malraux) - (4)
             Already got Wii Fit - (drook) - (3)
                 Re: Already got Wii Fit - (malraux) - (2)
                     Sounds like Rayman Raving Rabbids - (drook) - (1)
                         Yep, we have those too. - (malraux)
         Have you looked at Super Mario Bros? - (static)

I said, "Forget the cods, Gill, this guy's gonna need a sturgeon." Well, the yellowtail was impressed with the way I landed her boyfriend. She came over to me, she said, "Hey, big boy. You're really a game fish. What's your name?" I said, "Marlin."
51 ms