IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New XML validity.
For you lot out there who've worked with XML, I've got some questions about convention.

All of my XML handling has been done with PHP. PHP's general approach to XML is fairly casual: so long as it validates as valid XML, it doesn't care what elements there are. I imagine XSD validation is available, but optional.

Currently, I'm making calls to an ASP.NET box. It seems to have this habit of requiring XML that conforms extremely closly to the XSD. In practice this means that tags it doesn't know means the whole message blows up. I'm finding that this is not very flexible. However, my counterparts on the .NET box seem to have trouble understanding that this behaviour could be different.

When building custom XML inter-process handling, how common is it in your experiences for the XML to be required to be thoroughly conform to the XSD?

Wade.

Q:Is it proper to eat cheeseburgers with your fingers?
A:No, the fingers should be eaten separately.
New Re: XML validity.
I've done both.

Currently (for the most part) our XML documents aren't validated against XSD and we tend to hang anything anywhere (as long as it's valid XML). It's (partly) because we're using 3rd party XSD structures for the majority of our stuff.

PROS: everyone understands basic structure and has flexibility to hang additional elements | attributes where needed
CONS: can't use XML mapping software (XMLBeans come to mind) to covert them to base elements. All mappings are done by hand (to and from). Validation of XML is extremely limited (compared to XSDs)

Using XSD is pretty much the opposite.

It sorta depends on what you want to do. Personally I prefer XSDs (if I get the choice)
     XML validity. - (static) - (1)
         Re: XML validity. - (Mycroft_Holmes_Iv)