IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New a place I used to work used sftp to send files
from taiwan to mumbai, tokyo to the states. Once we talked them thru the initial connection setup, no prob
New Been there, done that
But this should ultimately go to an end user at a corporate desktop behind the corporate firewall and the end user may not have the slightest ability to get the ports opened up.

Been there done that too.

So I'll avoid the ssh protocols if possible.
New I'd seriously consider
putting up an FTP server for anonymous uploads.

FTP can handle the 2GB, iirc. (The OS should be able to handle it)

Only allow uploads, no browsing. (Effectively a drop box)
New How would you handle the client side?
Imagine a mid-level corporate person, non-techie, gopher type.

His executive marketing boss told him to grab a file off the network and upload it to us after logging in to our web site.

He is clueless about anything having to do with computers other than his 3 applications he lives in.

He certainly can't initiate a windows level ftp session as a separate process outside the web site interaction. So how would I trigger a controlled FTP upload? I am unaware of any seemless browser usage at this point, but I'd be happy to be wrong.

This is one of many possible people, all trying to do the same thing.

New build a web based wrapper for it.
New How convenient
I used to have a boss like that.
Nice general high level descriptions.
He sure looked smart when he could even use them in the correct context.

You want to be a bit more specific - ON THE CLIENT SIDE!
New I KNOW!
Use a PHP script for it!
New start here
http://www.enterpris...doc/devguide.html
all the customer needs to do (from your description) is non tech people need to easily upload a large file to you, so a browser based app would
ask what file the customer wishes to send including how to find it (attachement function generic)
click "yes this is the file I weant to send"
browser client needs to tell customer status of upload (activity bar) and a notification of when it is finished (pop box "we're done!")
now get a little fancier and provide a toolbar icon and make the whole thing a plugin.
does that help a little bit?
New Help a lot
Thanks
New That's a possibility...
others include (not limited to...):

building a shell script (.bat file) to upload the files. Put an icon on their desktop and anything in the SendToXYZ folder gets uploaded.

a web page that lives locally (file:\c:whatever) that loads the file up (give them the ability to browse for the file)

a small program that does the connection for ftp. Either java/C#/C++, etc. Again, it's an icon on their desktop.

New No icons
No desktops.

Web users.
     PHP upload widget/library? - (crazy) - (23)
         Re: PHP upload widget/library? - (folkert) - (22)
             Oh, that's not the issue. - (crazy) - (21)
                 For EXT2 and older filesystems... - (folkert)
                 That's a very very very big file. - (static) - (19)
                     Yup - (crazy) - (18)
                         I'd be looking at an SFTP or SCP solution. -NT - (static) - (17)
                             same here -NT - (boxley)
                             I wish - (crazy) - (15)
                                 Is chopping up the file into < 2 GB chunks an option? - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                     Unlikely - (crazy)
                                 You can bet on that - (scoenye) - (1)
                                     Other way around - (crazy)
                                 a place I used to work used sftp to send files - (boxley) - (10)
                                     Been there, done that - (crazy) - (9)
                                         I'd seriously consider - (Mycroft_Holmes_Iv) - (8)
                                             How would you handle the client side? - (crazy) - (7)
                                                 build a web based wrapper for it. -NT - (boxley) - (6)
                                                     How convenient - (crazy) - (5)
                                                         I KNOW! - (folkert)
                                                         start here - (boxley) - (3)
                                                             Help a lot - (crazy)
                                                             That's a possibility... - (Mycroft_Holmes_Iv) - (1)
                                                                 No icons - (crazy)

When The Wall fell, I had a basement full of homebrew and a freezer full of venison here in The Land of the Free. All quite legal, unless I committed capitalism, in which case it becomes felonious.
64 ms