IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I'd be looking at an SFTP or SCP solution.

Q:Is it proper to eat cheeseburgers with your fingers?
A:No, the fingers should be eaten separately.
New same here
New I wish
No matter HOW dumb the file size is, we are trying an initial setup that minimises client side setup. The client could be way away, out of our jurisdiction. If we want to allow them to send the file, we have to make it as simple/standard as possible.

That even includes using a java/java script side library for a different protocol since they might be killed on THEIR internal firewall for those protocols. On the other hand, it is still an option.

But to start with, everything is 3 high speed local network router hops away. Which of course is a best case scenario. And we'd like to use the functionality locally anyway, so it's fine to add better/more secure transfers after we do this initial usage. I totally expect large trasnfer to fail all the time if this design was rolled out to the outside world.
New Is chopping up the file into < 2 GB chunks an option?
If the main problem is the file size limit, can you have the client machine chop the file into < 2 GB chunks (automatically, in the background) before it is sent?

I'm thinking of calling something like Zip Chunker in the background, sending the pieces, and then reassembling them on your end. How one would do that via PHP is left as an exercise for the reader. (IOW, I'm waving my hands around madly.)

http://www.jibbensof...com/utilities.cfm

Just a thought. Good luck.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Unlikely
But possible.

I'll save it for Phase II

Thanks
New You can bet on that
Yesterday, I was about to comment on the 20 x 10GB/day load you were expecting, but then figured this was on a LAN.

That would be a sustained 23 Mb/s for 24 hours straight.

Even if your download speeds allow it, the uploader better have deep pockets...

New Other way around
Office with 2 net connections, no idea how fast.

Server in the server room,I have to process these files by sending them offsite (via internet) to service provider who does stuff with them, and sends them back. So triple the actual usage. Oh, and the the final files have to be sent back to the client via ftp pushes or web pickup. Quadruple it.

Current usage has client or us ftp slinging these around already, but current usage is about 30GB per week.

So:
#1: Let the curent clients upload them via self-serve website.
#2: As we add clients, add bandwidth as needed. The additional processing will pay for it, or, I'll move to a cohosted box that has cheaper bandwidth.

All my stuff is running in VMWare instances (both Linux and Windows), so the physical location should not matter.
New a place I used to work used sftp to send files
from taiwan to mumbai, tokyo to the states. Once we talked them thru the initial connection setup, no prob
New Been there, done that
But this should ultimately go to an end user at a corporate desktop behind the corporate firewall and the end user may not have the slightest ability to get the ports opened up.

Been there done that too.

So I'll avoid the ssh protocols if possible.
New I'd seriously consider
putting up an FTP server for anonymous uploads.

FTP can handle the 2GB, iirc. (The OS should be able to handle it)

Only allow uploads, no browsing. (Effectively a drop box)
New How would you handle the client side?
Imagine a mid-level corporate person, non-techie, gopher type.

His executive marketing boss told him to grab a file off the network and upload it to us after logging in to our web site.

He is clueless about anything having to do with computers other than his 3 applications he lives in.

He certainly can't initiate a windows level ftp session as a separate process outside the web site interaction. So how would I trigger a controlled FTP upload? I am unaware of any seemless browser usage at this point, but I'd be happy to be wrong.

This is one of many possible people, all trying to do the same thing.

New build a web based wrapper for it.
New How convenient
I used to have a boss like that.
Nice general high level descriptions.
He sure looked smart when he could even use them in the correct context.

You want to be a bit more specific - ON THE CLIENT SIDE!
New I KNOW!
Use a PHP script for it!
New start here
http://www.enterpris...doc/devguide.html
all the customer needs to do (from your description) is non tech people need to easily upload a large file to you, so a browser based app would
ask what file the customer wishes to send including how to find it (attachement function generic)
click "yes this is the file I weant to send"
browser client needs to tell customer status of upload (activity bar) and a notification of when it is finished (pop box "we're done!")
now get a little fancier and provide a toolbar icon and make the whole thing a plugin.
does that help a little bit?
New Help a lot
Thanks
New That's a possibility...
others include (not limited to...):

building a shell script (.bat file) to upload the files. Put an icon on their desktop and anything in the SendToXYZ folder gets uploaded.

a web page that lives locally (file:\c:whatever) that loads the file up (give them the ability to browse for the file)

a small program that does the connection for ftp. Either java/C#/C++, etc. Again, it's an icon on their desktop.

New No icons
No desktops.

Web users.
     PHP upload widget/library? - (crazy) - (23)
         Re: PHP upload widget/library? - (folkert) - (22)
             Oh, that's not the issue. - (crazy) - (21)
                 For EXT2 and older filesystems... - (folkert)
                 That's a very very very big file. - (static) - (19)
                     Yup - (crazy) - (18)
                         I'd be looking at an SFTP or SCP solution. -NT - (static) - (17)
                             same here -NT - (boxley)
                             I wish - (crazy) - (15)
                                 Is chopping up the file into < 2 GB chunks an option? - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                     Unlikely - (crazy)
                                 You can bet on that - (scoenye) - (1)
                                     Other way around - (crazy)
                                 a place I used to work used sftp to send files - (boxley) - (10)
                                     Been there, done that - (crazy) - (9)
                                         I'd seriously consider - (Mycroft_Holmes_Iv) - (8)
                                             How would you handle the client side? - (crazy) - (7)
                                                 build a web based wrapper for it. -NT - (boxley) - (6)
                                                     How convenient - (crazy) - (5)
                                                         I KNOW! - (folkert)
                                                         start here - (boxley) - (3)
                                                             Help a lot - (crazy)
                                                             That's a possibility... - (Mycroft_Holmes_Iv) - (1)
                                                                 No icons - (crazy)

Before such superhuman attainments of sustained triviality one stands in something like awe.
266 ms