IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Ubuntu 9.10 problem
I did the upgrade, and since then I'm unable to get network manager to work properly. I have a DSL connection and for some reason it never connects. It does work for a DHCP connection (I have the machine here at work and that kind of connection is working fine). It seems that it lost my DSL password during the upgrade, and when I try to modify the configuration to put the password back in, the connection editor crashes while it tries to get authentication.

Is anyone else having a similar problem, and does anyone have any ideas about how to proceed to get this fixed?
New does anyone have any ideas about how to proceed to get this
Sure

Windows7

/me ducks and hides
New Can you change your DSL modem to do PPPoE?
That's how your normally configure DSL in Australia. For most people, it then gives your PC a DHCP address etc etc.

My first DSL modem couldn't do that, it only did bridging connections. But that was the norm back then and I just setup Roaring Penguin on my Debian box.

Wade.

Q:Is it proper to eat cheeseburgers with your fingers?
A:No, the fingers should be eaten separately.
New Actually, Wade, it DOES do PPPoE
I don't have any choice on that. The problem is that it lost my PPPoE password during the upgrade for some reason, and when I open nm-connection-editor, it segfaults when it tries to authenticate me. Other programs (eg- synaptic) work just fine, so the problem has to be in the connection editor. I was wondering if anyone else had seen this, and if there are any good workarounds.

Well, I ended up using pppoeconf to set up a connection, but it's a bit awkward when I try to use my laptop elsewhere, such as a wifi hotspot in a cafe or some such.... I have to go do a poff -a and then pon blah blah blah when I get back home and hook it up.
New No, if your laptop is doing PPPoE, your modem is not.
I know this because when I had to replace my elderly D-Link when it died a few years ago, I set my new LinkSys modem to Bridged so my server could continue to do the PPPoE like it had been for years. It was later, when I decided to upgrade my server, that turning the PPPoE login on in the modem made certain other things easier.

All DSL modems I have seen in the last few years have a small web server to access their management pages where they let you do this. Surely you already know this?

Wade.

Q:Is it proper to eat cheeseburgers with your fingers?
A:No, the fingers should be eaten separately.
New Ah, I see what you mean
It's actually got a little router blahdeblah in it. Yeah, my Mom had one of those, but this one doesn't... though mebbe I should look it up and see if perhaps it's just not activated.
     Ubuntu 9.10 problem - (jake123) - (5)
         does anyone have any ideas about how to proceed to get this - (jbrabeck)
         Can you change your DSL modem to do PPPoE? - (static) - (3)
             Actually, Wade, it DOES do PPPoE - (jake123) - (2)
                 No, if your laptop is doing PPPoE, your modem is not. - (static) - (1)
                     Ah, I see what you mean - (jake123)

I'd interracially copulate with an alien at this point, and take it to breakfast even.
95 ms