IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New What I ended up doing
Called it 'group_tbl' and did a special-case check for it. Turned out I had it well-enough modularized already that I only had to put the check in one place. (Yay me!)

Thing is, the guy is a c++ wizard, and the only one here who can work with the HP3000's. (Our main work right now, BTW, is to port everything off them and get rid of them.) He still thinks the right way to do efficient data access is flat files. And seems to believe if something is not how he already does it, it can't be right.

PS: Shhh, don't tell anyone (especially not my wife) but I'm already checking the classifieds again.
I can't be a Democrat because I like to spend the money I make.
I can't be a Republican because I like to spend the money I make on drugs and whores.
New depends what you really want
>> He still thinks the right way to do efficient data access is flat files. <<

Efficient for what, the machine or the human?

>> And seems to believe if something is not how he already does it, it can't be right. <<

You have to decide what is more important: money, or the right to tell someone they are wrong. I am afraid that they are probably mutually exclusive. Sometimes I want to say, "I will take a 10k/yr pay cut to gain the privaledge of telling you when you are stupid." Or negotiate frequency of stupidity notifications per K reduction.

I once had a boss who actually liked to hear my opinion on things (most of the time). Those are rare. Most want smiling Yes-men.

But, naming conventions are a personal thing. I have my own preferences, but would not make somebody rewrite a bunch of stuff before they knew the shop conventions. If it was so important to him, he should have said so up front.

I would probably want prefixes for views and stored procedures, but not for tables.
             Ah, yes. Force the weasel to define his terms. - (marlowe)
         So he likes spaghetti code, right? - (bepatient) - (4)
             That program leads to job security. :) - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
                 Precedent:: FInd tons of sample code - (Meerkat) - (1)
                     Give these two men a prize - (drewk)
             Do it their way - (nking)
         Solition 6 CMSOPEN - (nking)
         abbreviate, dude, abbreviate - (wharris2) - (1)
             Group, Grope, Grape? - (nking)
         Shame on you for mixing form and content that way anyway. ;) - (tseliot) - (2)
             Actually considered that - (drewk)
             No, you just misused an already existing one. HTH! :-) -NT - (CRConrad)
         Isn't the labour market looking up, lately? - (CRConrad) - (2)
             What I ended up doing - (drewk) - (1)
                 depends what you really want - (tablizer)

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.
50 ms