IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I hate PHP's mail() function.
It is way too idiosyncratic and highly dependant on php.ini settings that often rely on a mail injector running locally and correctly configured. It needs to *Go Away* and I wish the PHP people would realize that.

PHPMailer is generally regarded as the best replacement, as it either completely avoids the local SMTP handling, or knows how to make it work correctly behind an API that makes sense.

But of course, you don't have the luxury of changing your code, do you? :-/ They probably turned off the local MTA. Unfortunately, that doesn't make mail() spit back an error because the local injector still runs! The way to debug that is to rummage in the local SMTP logs.

Wade.

Q:Is it proper to eat cheeseburgers with your fingers?
A:No, the fingers should be eaten separately.
New And I don't get SMTP logs
But I do have the luxury of changing the code. The app I'm using is ... unfinished. I've already updated the piece of code that handles sending multiple messages on a schedule -- assuming I get them to fix crontab [sigh] -- to use PEAR Mail_Mime. I discovered last night the code for sending one-off messages doesn't use the same functions.
--

Drew
New Oh, well, then PHP Mailer is recommended.
I haven't used anything in PEAR in years; the average quality of code last time I looked was dreadfully low.

Wade.

New Really? I haven't had any problems with PEAR
Of course I'm only using Mail (and Mail_Mime), DB and Log. They're fairly straightforward, and are things that I had written myself before PEAR was available. The syntax for calling each of them was so similar to what I had already done that it was easy to switch out, and use something maintained by more than just me.
--

Drew
New I looked at DB and ilk a few years ago.
None of them could do what my own custom handler could already do and when I looked at what it would take to modify one of them so they could, I was turned off by the code. It was simplistic where it shouldn't have been, complex where it was unnecessary and condescending when you didn't subscribe to the author's vision. :-/

Wade.

How to debug PHP failing to send email? - (drook) - (8)
         Get a local account in their domain - (crazy) - (7)
             I'm sending to my own email address - (drook) - (6)
                 Well how about that - (drook) - (5)
                     I hate PHP's mail() function. - (static) - (4)
                         And I don't get SMTP logs - (drook) - (3)
                             Oh, well, then PHP Mailer is recommended. - (static) - (2)
                                 Really? I haven't had any problems with PEAR - (drook) - (1)
                                     I looked at DB and ilk a few years ago. - (static)

How many IWETHEYers does it take to change a light bulb?
174 ms